Are we ever allowed? ( funny)

CCs_mum
on 7/29/14 2:05 am

I very much agree with you... this certainly wasn't the point I was trying to make.

In my case, if I have an Executive Chef that is going to prepare for me an outstanding 5* dish made with some pasta, do I say no.

I would not.

I know in my head what I can do with respect to the volume and quality of food I am to be taking in.

So if I enjoy a few tablespoons of this dish and I am within my limits... I don't care what others may think.

In my opinion (again, clearly advising that this is my opinion), it's those that "eat whatever they want" and do not respect the basics of the journey find themselves in trouble.

And yes, I will eat whatever the hell I want because I am always thinking about the final numbers.

I do not agree with I can eat however much of whatever I want ... there is a difference.

Very sorry if this is written offensively, it was not meant to but I am in a rush to get to lunch :-)  Chef is making grilled chicken with cranberries and there will probably be a side of pasta I will have a tablespoon of.

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

kellybelly333
on 7/29/14 6:10 am - Toronto, Canada

I don't take offense, no worries about that. I just think about our new friends who might regret their decision to have something during the early process (because they are still losing at that point, so they think it's ok), when this is the time to break habit of not great carbs. After two years...or more...(it was closer to three for me), you are able to fit more in, and if you're getting into the habit of pasta once a week, the portions will become bigger as you are able to tolerate it more and then it can become difficult to break the habit that far out when you suddenly stall...then gain. Then you're suddenly wanting to limit carbs, trying the 5 day pouch test in hopes that you break your habit. I'm very glad you are talking about portion control....and quality versus quantity here. Sounds like you have that under your belt well. Some of us don't. 

I'm running low on energy here today, and i'm babbling i'm sure.  lol

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

CCs_mum
on 7/29/14 1:57 am

I had RNY almost 2 yrs out...

It was very clear in my comment that I wasn't giving advise but letting her know how I choose to live my life.

I don't preach to others, I don't tell them what they should do.   If they make an open comment looking for what other do, I share.

I can see you are very successful on your journey in maintenance and have a lot of advise to share.  I think what you offer is very important.

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

Karen M.
on 7/29/14 3:48 am - Mississauga, Canada

I didn't feel that my ability to offer support to others was in question. My experience and results speak for themselves. What I think happens sometimes is that people read "I do whatever I want" and they view that as license to do so themselves with support from others, on plan or not-so on plan.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Valerie G.
on 7/29/14 3:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Pasta has nothing good for us, and many of us suffer horrible gas from it.  It's pretty much out of my life, but I find more interesting things to do with the pasta sauces.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Karen M.
on 7/29/14 3:50 am - Mississauga, Canada

This whole thread is making me crave my homemade lasagna. lol

Karen

kellybelly333
on 7/29/14 6:03 am - Toronto, Canada

I used to be such a pasta-*****now I could take it or leave it. Mostly I leave it. If I make lasagna, I just eat the guts, and maybe a bit of the pasta noodles. But it's all about meat and veg in our house. Potatoes are a rarity too. And never rice. Wonder what's for dinner? 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 7/29/14 8:56 am - Mississauga, Canada

It's all about the guts, you are SO right. The lasagna noodles simply hold the yummy guts in place. LOL

When I think back to all the pasta I used to eat - my GAWD. ***** No, as the chief bottle-washer, I was the freakin' MADAME!

Karen

Wesley T.
on 7/29/14 8:38 am - Canada

LOL Kelly @ Pasta ***** We should walk into the Olive Garden and eat whatever the hell we want! Non-kidding side, I agree. I could see myself easily being able to be satisfied with some meat sauce with Italian spices. My Mom always puts in red peppers and green peppers in her pastas. At one point I had thought eating rice noodles because they were less in calories than regular noodles was doing me a favor, but it was not. 

This portion discussion is very good to review for newbies like me. 

Almostthere1966
on 7/29/14 8:47 am - Canada

It is interesting  to hear so many different opinions. Since I am just starting out and beginning to learn the process as I go;  there are alot of questions. The Good ole Bariatric Bible sits in a promenent (sp) spot open to the diet stages as I go and I try to follow it to a tee. Sorry but dont like or think I want to ever do the dump thingy :) That is why i originally posted the question as there is no set time line for pasta or pasta products. I also know that  there are people in so many different stages of this procedure and most are doing  great with some ( myself at times) having a bit of difficulties but that is why I come here.

Most Active