Best changes to make well in advance of surgery?

Kate M.
on 7/28/14 12:53 am - toronto, Canada

Hey pals, I'm a long time reader/creeper over here. Been on a long twisted road of referrals/delays for WLS since spring of early 2012 (long story). Anyway I am now doing orientation for the second time in August. 

So far I have started tracking my food and reducing my carbs/sugars, upped my protein intake, quit drinking pop, and most importantly quit SMOKING last year (8 months now!) in order to get as ready as possible for what I know will be a long process. Just want to give myself the best chance at things.

Looking for tips of things you did well in advance of surgery or things you WISH you had done. I am talking about anything at all you can think of to get in the right mindset and prepare to start the journey.

Catw
on 7/28/14 12:58 am - Arnprior, Canada

One thing you don't mention is your activity.  If you aren't active now, try a bit of walking.  And besides tracking your food, track your emotions, thoughts etc.  It will help you identify head hunger triggers (i.e. sad, bored, etc).

I wish you the best on your journey.

Cathy

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/28/14 1:36 am - Windsor, Canada

Sounds like you made some awesome changes so far.  

I cannot emphasize how much head issues come into play long term for us.  Examining the reasons why we turn to food before surgery can help many greatly after surgery. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/28/14 4:08 am

I second the physical part.  The fitter you are pre-surgery the easier it will be for you and your surgeons.  Lung capacity is greatly improved with activity as is circulation and healing.  I found the first week home when bending, twisting etc really hurt I was glad I had really solid leg muscles and could squat easily to pick things up off the floor etc.

Kate M.
on 7/28/14 7:16 am - toronto, Canada

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I am lucky enough to have a gym in my apartment building and plan to make good use of it. I am pretty active but haven't worked out seriously since last fall. I am going to start cardio and weights again this week. Also discovering that the public library has any and every workout DVD you can imagine was an exciting discovery I'm going to start doing one every weekend.

Sunny123
on 7/29/14 6:15 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Some great changes made already...if you drink coffee you could wean yourself off of caffine...I did that months before hand. Small changes like 1 decaf in place of a caffeinated coffee is a good start.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Kate M.
on 7/29/14 7:03 am - toronto, Canada

I have been cutting out coffee bc my partner has to for other medical reasons, I didn't realize that was something you need to do!

Most Active