A serious side effect no one warns you about

redviking
on 7/26/14 2:27 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

When I woke up in recovery, the nurse was wiping my face. She told me that I looked like a smurf because I was covered in blue dye. Apparently, after the RNY surgery, they cycle some dye through your insides to make sure everything is sealed up.  Some spilled out of the tube onto my face.  But it also ran down my neck into my hair!  

The nurse on my first day noticed it and felt so bad for me.  I didn't realize how blue it was until day 2 when I brushed my hair and I really laughed.  I've always been way too chicken to do any wild colours in my hair, and now I have a nice blue chunk.  

I've now washed my hair twice and it's pretty much gone. I'm sure no one else would notice.  And if this is the worse thing that went wrong during my surgery, I'm A-OK with it!  Here's a pic, you can barely tell. 

http://imgur.com/jLlEFjT

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Karen M.
on 7/26/14 2:46 am - Mississauga, Canada

I had the same thing happen to me - completely forgot 'til you mentioned it. My hair was bluetiful too. ;)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

crqvingchange
on 7/26/14 3:59 am

Too funny, you go for WLS and become part of the blue rinse set.  Thanks for posting Sonya

Kittykatt1329
on 7/26/14 4:28 am - Alfred, Canada

Haha funny and like the dog photo bomb

Poppios
on 7/26/14 6:18 am
I had to ask why my pee was dark green. I was quite nervous.
Karen M.
on 7/26/14 7:16 am - Mississauga, Canada

Haha! Yeah, my pee was green, my poop was green.... everything that came outta me was GREEN.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Mrs_Rolo
on 7/26/14 8:03 am - Waterloo, Canada

Glad to hear you OK and haven't lost your sense of humour!

1HealthyMomma
on 7/26/14 8:25 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

Green pee and poo...lol now that's something that would freak me right out. Glad I read it here before surgery.

Thanks for sharing

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

mum2TNT
on 7/26/14 11:29 am - Oshawa, Canada

LMAO!  thank you for the heads up! also with the green pee & poo!!!

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Onward and
Downward

on 7/27/14 10:13 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Wow, I had no idea! That didn't happen to me at all, and as far as I know, my pee and poop were normal-coloured. I had my period though, so maybe I wouldn't have noticed a green tinge. Wild!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active