How do I start this whole process?

NoDaybut2Day
on 7/26/14 11:48 am - CA
RNY on 07/03/14

I think many doctors see WLS as a positive step toward a healthier you.  My PCP instantaneously said yes when I brought up the idea of WLS.  She pointed right to my BMI of 47 on the screen and said you are the perfect candidate.  It all rolled on from there.  I agree with the others.  If your doctor doesn't think WLS is for you then go find another doctor who is more enlightened!  I've had nothing but positive reactions from everyone I've encountered in the medical community on my journey.  They are all routing for those of us who are deciding to take control and lead healthier lives.  Don't let shyness or fear of anyone's judgement stop you from reaching your goals!

HW: 308,  CW: 261,  SW: 240,  Now: 135.8  M1: -23.4  M2: -12.0 M3: -10.2 M4: -10.0 M5: -9.0  M6: -10.0  M7: -2.0  M8: -6.8  M9: -7.6 M10: -4.6 M11: -3.6  M12: -3.7  M13: -1.2

rickii2014
on 7/27/14 2:21 am

I am in Thunder Bay as well. My NP actually brought it up to me so they definitely have the power to refer! Good luck. If you want to chat, pm me!!

jessiak
on 7/28/14 2:46 am - Thunder Bay, Canada

Well, I bit the bullet and made an appointment. I have an appt with my NP tomorrow at 11:40 where I'm going to ask for a referral. Fingers crossed for me please! I'm so nervous.

Karen M.
on 7/28/14 3:14 am - Mississauga, Canada

Take a deep breath and go in there with confidence and knowledge about weight loss surgery. You are your own best advocate!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Ali1974
on 7/28/14 9:13 am

I was referred on April 8th by my NP.  She was extremely supportive of my decision and stated she felt I would be a great candidate for WLS.  I was nervous at first and had many of the same reservations as you mentioned, but I needed to take control and believe it or not, asking for help felt like a first step towards gaining some control.

I have my orientation this Wednesday and I look forward to starting my journey.  There is a great reading/resource list on the bariatric website and great support through forums like this one and more locally driven ones on Facebook.  

I wish you you the best of luck tomorrow!  

Seyenna
on 7/28/14 8:49 pm, edited 7/28/14 8:49 pm - Welland, Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I was referred by a nurse practitioner as well as I did not have a family doctor at the time. She filled out all of the paperwork and then sent it under the GP's name that she worked under. She sent my referral on Feb. 7th and about a month later I had my orientation. Best of luck!

Referral - Feb 25th, 2014. Info Session - April 7th 
Surgeon#1 - May 15th  Dr. Glazer - July 23rd, Dietitian/Social Worker/RN - Aug 1st, Surgeon #2 - Sept 10th, Surgery - Dec 16th, 2014!

jessiak
on 7/29/14 3:02 am - Thunder Bay, Canada

I'm so thrilled! She filled out my referral form right there, and is faxing it over this afternoon! I have officially been referred! 

Most Active