Cheating on Opti?

Karen M.
on 7/25/14 9:01 am - Mississauga, Canada

YES, justification. Helpful at times of worry, NOT when trying to gain control of an unhealthy issue.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Judy1966
on 7/24/14 12:23 pm

Today was my first day on Premier Protein for 7 days.  I fixed a big bottle of Smar****er and put 2 packets of Crystal Light in it.  Between the protein and the Crystal Light I did pretty good.  If I stay away from the kitchen I can do this.  My RNY will be July 31. We are all so accustomed to eating whenever we desire that this takes a lot of discipline.  You will do great.  When is your surgery?

NewMe2.0
on 7/24/14 12:34 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

I am glad you held strong.  On the first day of opti I almost caved in and had a big mac (something I would eat maybe 1x year and was usually disappointed)...BUT I held strong...I figured I had had 47 years of eating whatever I wanted (minus the times I crazy yo yo dieted)..and look where it got me.  If I couldn't stay strong on opti, how the heck would I be able to live the lifestyle required after surgery.

I did NOT cheat once during my 3 weeks on opti--not even a smidge.  I had to do the extra week of opti due to the size of my liver, and by God I was not going to jeopardize myself or risk the chance of my liver not having shrunk enough.

You can do this.  Keep yourself busy, leave the room/or mute the tv when commercials come on...you are in the home stretch. Continue to be strong.  

You are worth it.

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/24/14 10:46 pm - Windsor, Canada

You know that "victory" feeling?  That's the one to REALLY focus on in your journey.  Not the "hmm...humans cheat" part.  I'm not putting down anyone who does cheat as I can understand both sides of the coin, but the MENTAL ASPECT of surgery is by far, the hardest.  Start reframing your mind now for the victory over the foods that made you fat. 

When all is said and done past the first initial eating plan, that victory or ability to resist the triggers and the off topic foods, will be the one that makes you successful.  That mindset is key in this journey.  Use that mindset to your full advantage rather than focusing on the cheat aspect.  You'll go much further towards your goals :) This journey IS about willpower down the line and if you have claimed one victory now, you will claim many more tomorrow :)

Keep working hard!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

annw
on 7/25/14 12:00 am
RNY on 07/29/14

Good for you.  I am so close to my surgery date - four more days on Opti (surgery is on Tuesday, July 29 in Guelph).  I almost ate a Ritz cracker the other night but got it to my mouth and then felt this terrible gilt so I threw it away. 

Wesley T.
on 7/25/14 8:40 am - Canada

That is the nature of the beast. Humans will ALWAYS need food, and we will always be burdened with these cravings to deter. 

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee Dorito's, I will ALWAYS have cravings to go back to my old ways, post surgery to sit down and easily eaaaasily polish off a bag! My mental mind set is what will determine how I counter act these cravings such as "Food will ALWAYS taste good." Whether I am having it now or later. Yet I will always feel worse for having done polished off a bag of chips, and then derailing any sense of productive progress for my Journey. Fight the demon.

Like Karen said, down the road... I am incredibly OCD about this, not wanting to re-trigger an eating pattern that is almost addictive in scope, I will be able to have slowly maybe one or two dorito chips that do fit into my Fitness Pal requirements. At a social party a year and half after I have satisfied my Journey priorities. What is life without Nacho Cheese?

Karen M.
on 7/25/14 8:59 am, edited 7/25/14 9:03 am - Mississauga, Canada

Which is why I cut refined sugar out of my life entirely for over 7 years - it's only in the last year that I have "tested the waters" a little allowing a chocolate or two to pass these lips. I trust myself now. I've had enough time to know that I can handle "just one". Prior to this? Hell no. Obviously it's different for everyone - I knew what would work, and what wouldn't, for ME. I am way too impulsive, and I know this about myself, to really let it back in occasionally without thought and planning if I do so.

P.S. I hate Doritos. A handful of Miss Vicky's sea salt and malt vinegar chips? Lord help me.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active