Lost 15 lbs waiting for orientation ..... Under 40 BMI now

coop1977
on 7/19/14 7:08 am - Canada

So, I got my referral sent march of this year ..... Orientation is Aug 6, 2014.  

I have read and read and read all the helpful info on this site.  I started walking, eating better- protein first, cut back on pop, etc.

so in the last 2 months I have lost 15 lbs .... Yeah me!  But I am worried that I will no longer qualify as I am below 40 BMI now!  

I have some family that says ... See you can do it!  I know I can lose weight on my own ... I have done it 20 times before!  But like most ... The weight comes back with some extra!  I fear if I am not approved that 2 or 5 or 10 years from now I will be in a worse place ... Unhappy again but that much older!

Anyone have any ideas if they look at referral weight or current weight?    

Janet

1HealthyMomma
on 7/19/14 7:44 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

The clinic weighed me on my first visit  to meet my surgeon and again when I meet the RN, SW, and the RD. No one at the clinic ever mentioned my referral weigh. I waited 13 months for an orientation date, so weigh would have been different.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Wesley T.
on 7/19/14 9:38 am - Canada

I wouldn't worry about it... If you have other comorbidities etc. Since Feb I was 303 on my papers I sent them, and now I am 289.1. I have plateau'd at 289.1 My body always does this, I can loose the first 20 lbs and get it down, but as if my metabolism says no f'n way. 

coop1977
on 7/19/14 2:42 pm - Canada

I don't have any other issues .... That's why I am worried .... 

Wesley T.
on 7/20/14 2:55 am - Canada

It is ok. Once you see the doctors you will have a better idea. Either way, congrats on the weight loss!

coop1977
on 7/20/14 7:51 am - Canada

Thanks ... 

Cloud
on 7/20/14 1:40 pm, edited 7/20/14 1:42 pm

I'm 3 days away from my first appointment and I, too, lost below 40 (way lower than 40, I got to 34 bmi) and my family doctor said that I should think of gaining a bit to qualify. She knows I cannot keep it off and all the benefits I've gotten since losing weight will be gone within a year as I will undoubtedly gain again. I have PCOS but I'm not sure that is a co-morbidity.

So, on my appointment, I'm going to ask if its alright if I lose some before surgery since I 'food funeraled' my way back up to nearly 40 bmi again.

eta: they only look at your weight at first appointment, not referral, and no one does anything at orientation.

Such a long wait, these things are bound to happen.

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/14 3:18 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi There,

I am going through the appointment process now out of TWH. I an confirm, they did not weigh me once yet. I have had orientation, and my social worker appt. I do believe the first time you will be weighed will be at the nurse practitioner appt, which could be month away from your orientation date. 

If you are below the 40 BMI, they will probably suggest you do the optifast program instead of go through with the surgery. My BMI is around 42, and I know my history, this is my last resort, my second chance at life, so I am making sure I do not drop below that 40, UNTIL they weigh me at my nurse pratictioner appt, because I don't want to risk them not approving me. I am not going to make any drastic diet changes until then.

- Good luck

Cloud
on 7/20/14 11:49 pm

In Hamilton the nurse/dietician appointment is before the social worker.

Ours goes like this: referral , orientation, requisitions to GP for ultrasound and blood tests, first appointment (dietician, nurse, and appointments given for scopes, sleep study, internist if you need them. This is the time they weigh and measure you and see if you qualify), then internist (if you need it), then surgeon, then surgery (weighed one more time for anesthesia).

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/14 5:05 am - Toronto, Canada

Yeah at TWH the first appointment scheduled for me was the nurse as well, but I got into the social worker on a cancellation. 

Referral sent- April 9th/14 Orientation TWH- June 25th/14  Social Worker- July 9th/14  Nurse Practitioner- July 30th/14 Nutrition Class- TBA Dietrician- TBA Psychologist- TBA Meet Surgeon - TBA Surgery Date -TBA

Most Active