Counting proteins

TES
on 7/19/14 12:28 am - Ottawa, Canada

I'm a moron when it comes to anything even vaguely math-related.  So trying to figure out how much protein I'm taking in is causing me great distress!

I'm on a high-level intake of protein (88 - 132 grams daily) because I'm a freakin' giant (6'3").  And because we're only supposed to eat a few tablespoons full at a time, how the heck am I going to stuff that much protein into myself???  I'm adding greek yogurt, skim milk powder, pureed legumes and anything else protein charged I can think of to my food, but I can't tally amounts.

I'm in the pureed phase of the diet, and I blend say, a can of white beans with a tin of tomato and some ground beef (say 1/4 pound), then have 2 tbsp of that - how do I break down the protein amounts?  Does anyone have any apps or websites that could be of help.  Right now I don't think I'm getting anywhere near the amount they want me to.  I try to get a Premier Protein shake in on top of everything else, but I'm so FULL all the time.  ARGH. 

I cannot brain this - I haz the dums.

Karen M.
on 7/19/14 1:30 am, edited 7/19/14 1:31 am - Mississauga, Canada

Sign up for My Fitness Pal - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-fac ts - it's an online food tracker/journal. It will show you the nutritional information of everything you input into the system and organizes your daily menu, much like how we do on the "what are you eating" thread.

You didn't mention protein shakes - are you not drinking those??

Edit: Sorry, I now see that you mentioned Premier protein shakes. They have a solid 30g of protein and are an EXCELLENT source of protein at this point in your diet.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

LilyBugsMommy
on 7/19/14 4:23 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

The goal is to work up to your required amount of protein, so don't stress too much at the moment if you aren't getting there. It will be easier as you start eating regular food. As suggested, using a food tracking site will help you see how much you are getting. And, using protein shakes, powders or bars will also help. I know people that need to have a protein supplement of some sort everyday to get the amount of protein they need.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Almostthere1966
on 7/19/14 10:34 am - Canada

Hi Tes

Gentle hugs. Sounds like we are at the same point in our diet and running into the same problems. I may get the right amount of protein one day but then not enough fluid or calories or my blood sugars are to low. It is a gradual learning process we go through . I was so upset last week I posted for help here ( Thanks everybody) and still find myself struggling everyday but none of us are the same and have different areas to learn and grow in and we will look back in a few months and wonder why  we worried to begin with. I am babbling  :) please dont worry as you are not alone at this time. Oh yeah the Fitness pal program is fantastic and helps you keep track of many different areas in an easy to read format.

Take care

Try not to worry and have fun

Kathy

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/19/14 1:57 pm

Thank you so much for your message  I was starting to feel sorry for myself tying to get in 90-100 a day.  Feeling a little less stressed now.  I went to popeye's today and basically asked what's the most protein per serving you've got.  Came home with a 37g per scoop top quality isolate.  Made puréed potatoes with one scoop of power and divided into 4 separate 1/2 cup containers.  With the soy milk I added each container has 10 grams.  I've been working on calculating the batch amount, then the tiny container amount and not worrying at all about the spoonful here and there.  I commit to eating one container for the day for example a few bites at lunch, some more at dinner and at bed it's gone so I just put the 10g into the daily total. Same with the Greek yogurt, I commit to 1/2 throughout the day and add that to my tally rather than breaking down when exactly I took each gram in.

My guess is you will probably need to rely still a bit on supplements.  I make a morning shake with 1 cup soy milk (7g) and 1.5 scoops powder (55.5 g) for a whopping total of 62g and sip through the am.  It makes me less stressful about meeting my protein needs the rest of the day.

NorthernFireWoman
on 7/20/14 3:45 am

I'm on myfitnesspal too - and it works great for tracking nutrients (and lots of other things)!  It has made tracking protein a snap.

Referral: Jun. 11/13;  Orientation: Jul. 24/13; SW/NP/Dietician: Nov. 2013.  Sleep test Dec. 2014.  Sleep apnea diagnosis Feb. 2014.  2nd sleep test Mar. 2014. Psychiatrist follow-up Mar. 2014. Approved by local centre Apr. 2014.  Sleep apnea follow-up May 2014. OTN apt with Dr. Sullivan Jun. 5/14.  Surgery July 7, 2014.

TES
on 7/20/14 6:20 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks everyone - I downloaded MyFitnessPal and yeah - it is definitely a big help! 

The advice and support means so much, thank you!

TES

Most Active