Had surgery on Monday - Ottawa

aamber02
on 7/18/14 6:03 am

Surgery with Dr. Neville went very well. All the staff at the Ottawa Civic are incredible, the cardio team, doctors, nurses..I was blown away by everyone I met, they genuinely cared and didn't rush through talking with or helping me.
It hurt. I was expecting less, no one really talked much about the pain but it hit hard for two nights and since then it's just been an annoyance. I got a lot of sleep, walked a lot, drank a lot and was discharged after two nights. The nurses told me that it is very common for ladies not to pass gas (other than burp) or poo while in the hospital, which was true in my case. They also said most gals start menstruating after surgery, within 2 days, I started, so be prepared for that ladies. I also didn't realize it took awhile for your bladder to wake up from surgery so it took awhile to pee without focusing and pushing for a bit, all is normal now. Everything else was as expected based off of experiences shared on this board. Glad to be home, getting about 1.5L and 40-60g protein through full liquid. If you are going through Ottawa and have any questions feel free to message me :)

Referral: July 11, 2013         Surgery: July 14, 2014

Karen M.
on 7/18/14 6:37 am - Mississauga, Canada

Welcome home and welcome to the bench! Wishing you a speedy recovery. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Zizzler
on 7/18/14 7:17 am

Thank you for sharing your experience Amber, and I am so glad to hear everything went well.  Did they not give you pain killers or did they just not work well the first few days?  I had my PAU today, so I am all set for surgery on the 15th.  Wish you a nice smooth healing.

aamber02
on 7/18/14 11:44 pm

I did take pain killers, it was just more painful thatn I had anticipated. I have had my galbladder removed and had various heart procedures, I am told I have a high pain tolerance but for some reason my body didn't react well to this surgery, pain-wise. I'm absolutely fine now, lots of walking and I slept on my side last night.

brenda65
on 7/18/14 7:31 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Amber  I had my surgery in Ottawa 3 years ago my surgeon was Dr Yell

January 14 2011- Orientation at WMC
July 4- Sugery

S L.
on 7/18/14 11:25 am - Canada

Congratulation to your surgery !! Glad to hear that all went well. I will have surgery with Dr. Neville as well. She is a very nice person from what I can say so far. I might take you on your offer to ask you about things. One thing I would like to ask you right now is: what size of bougie (sleeve size) did Dr Neville suggest for you and which size did you get at the end?

aamber02
on 7/18/14 11:42 pm

I actually had the RNY procedure. Feel free to ask anything in the future and good luck with your journey.

stevidad
on 7/22/14 1:58 am

I had my VSG with Dr. Neville on June 12th.  She uses a 34 bougie.  She was great - and I had no complications and a very ease, pain free recovery.

S L.
on 7/22/14 11:21 am - Canada

Had you been involved regarding the decision about your bougie size ? 

Pegasus_AM
on 7/18/14 11:52 am

Congratulations on your surgery !!! Hope your healing well and continue to heal quickly and well. Thank you for sharing your surgery experience for those of us that are still waiting our turn it helps us to prepare and it is greatly appreciated :-) Look forward to hearing more about your successes :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Most Active