Support Group in Northern Ontario

mandygarden
on 7/17/14 10:51 am - Thunder Bay, Canada

Hello everyone! Exciting news for Thunder Bay! We have two new surgeons here and they are starting surgeries in early August.  Does anyone know of a support group that meets in Thunder Bay or where the closest one would be?  Any advise on how I would go about starting one? I am a member of our Thunder Bay Facebook Group and I will ask around there if anyone is interested but I feel like there are so many of us out there wandering around alone when we could be sticking together :)  Thanks!

Referral - August 2013  Orientation - October 2013  Intake - November 2013  Nurse Practitioner - March 2014  Surgical Orientation - April 2014 Psychometrist - April 28, 2014  Nutritionist - May 5th, 2014  Ultrasound - May 21, 2014 Internest - July 29, 2014 Meet with Surgeons - August 7, 2014 PreOP - Aug 18th  Scope - Aug 19, 2014 SURGERY AUGUST 27th!!!!!!

Karen M.
on 7/17/14 11:00 am, edited 7/17/14 11:28 am - Mississauga, Canada

Well that is great news re. the surgeons! Hooray for our northern friends!

You know, I wasn't exactly sure how to start a support group either. So I posted about a coffee night for anyone interested in my area and went from there. I've hosted lunches, brunches and dinners with over 40 attendees at times. You never know who's going to "come out of the woodwork". There ARE people in TBay and area - plan a coffee night and post it here and on your FB group and see who shows up! :)

Edited to add: I have found that the most successful (in terms of attendees) groups work when the group leader is an active part of this forum. Many people don't feel comfortable unless they feel they "know" the person leading the group from posts on the board or personal contact via PM.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

4-Jane
on 7/17/14 11:22 am - Canada

I pm,d you on may 20 and think I mentioned the desire back then, if not a group then maybe a walking group meet?  Something would be better than nothing.  I'm from Thunder Bay as well, first nice day of summer, but it's cooling off fast tonight eh?

Respectfully Jane
mandygarden
on 7/17/14 11:49 am - Thunder Bay, Canada

Thanks for the suggestions Karen!  Were there meeting places that you found most successful??  Do coffee shops work or are they too public? or do they make people uncomfortable? Its hard to find a space that is large enough, central enough and free!! LOL  A walking meeting sounds great too!

Referral - August 2013  Orientation - October 2013  Intake - November 2013  Nurse Practitioner - March 2014  Surgical Orientation - April 2014 Psychometrist - April 28, 2014  Nutritionist - May 5th, 2014  Ultrasound - May 21, 2014 Internest - July 29, 2014 Meet with Surgeons - August 7, 2014 PreOP - Aug 18th  Scope - Aug 19, 2014 SURGERY AUGUST 27th!!!!!!

Karen M.
on 7/17/14 11:55 am, edited 7/17/14 12:07 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I generally host them at Tim's - the one by my place has quite a lot of room. If it grows, then consider something else. Tim Hortons is pretty non-threatening and we have never had a problem with people feeling uncomfortable.

Edited to add: (I seem to be the edit queen this evening) Our meals were not at Tim Hortons. They were at wonderful restaurants that I had researched to ensure they had good healthy choices for us.

Karen

Karen M.
on 7/17/14 12:03 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Adding:

I have also put together trampoline jumping and swimming and WOW were they fun. We met up at McDs after (minus the Big Macs) for those who were not interesting in swimming or trampolining but still wanted to get together.

Fun for all :)

Karen

Most Active