2 week freak out

dawn4511
on 7/17/14 8:46 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Hello friends
I'm having a tough night. Two weeks before surgery and I'm in self doubt mode. I want answers to questions that no one can answer. I'm scared. Not so much of the surgery because I trust my surgeon and he does it in two stages so I get to take baby steps. I'm more scared of failing. What if I can\t lose with a DS? What if I go threw this to end up in the same spot 7yrs down the road? Then what? This is my last hope and last option. I think Ive done a lot of growing up, maturing since my RNY. I have also done alot of counselling but I still have issues sticking to a diet. How am I going to stick to it this time?

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

Karen M.
on 7/17/14 8:56 am - Mississauga, Canada

Dawn, I think the thoughts you're having are completely normal - I'm sure I would be thinking much the same - what's going to be any different this time since I couldn't seem to make it work the first time around? What if this doesn't work? What if.... what if....

The thing is Dawn, you've come a long way since your RNY years ago. You recognize what worked, what didn't, and you've had a good amount of time to come to terms with what needs to be done. This truly is a new chance for you. Knowing you as I have, I think you're ready for this and capable of dealing with what's to come. I think you believe that yourself too - you're having a "moment". Let yourself feel it and then make a plan for success. Going into this with a positive outlook is a must do.

You can do this.

K xo

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

dawn4511
on 7/17/14 10:00 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Karen I love you . How did you know that's what I needed to hear?

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

Karen M.
on 7/17/14 10:33 am - Mississauga, Canada

Because I love you too, that's how.

AND I'm excited for this new beginning for you. :)

Karen

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/17/14 10:08 am - Windsor, Canada

Don't forget too -- you have lots of professionals to support you at the centre as well.  Use them. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

dawn4511
on 7/17/14 10:32 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Good point, thank you Dawn

birdiegirl
on 7/17/14 9:33 pm

Hi Dawn

I second what Karen and Dawn have said....Hamilton is a wonderful centre....use the knowledge and expertise......

Prepare yourself to lose slower then a fresh VSG or DS.....get yourself mentally ready for a slow and steady loss.....reach out when you need it.....focus......you can do it

kellybelly333
on 7/17/14 11:17 pm - Toronto, Canada

Use the tool that will be freshly given to you, and keep it going right through your honeymoon period. As much as you will lose slower, I have read that a revision will still give you great restriction. Use it. Keep up with counseling and go to the centre. You're on here, and that's also the key!! You'll do great!!! 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Catw
on 7/17/14 11:49 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Dawn, I did the same before my surgery.  But this time, you know what to watch for.  And you know that you can reach out for help when you need it.  To your centre, your doctor and to us.  You aren't alone in this.

I have a suggestion for you for the next couple weeks.  Get a journal.  Open it up so you can write on both sides, one side, write down all your worries.  Put them in there, and get rid of them.  On the other side, put all the positives down.  All the things you know you can do, that you are thankful for and that you are looking forward to.  Do this every day if you need to.  I'm sure that as you do this, the worry side will shrink and the other side will grow.

Cathy

Karen M.
on 7/18/14 12:06 am - Mississauga, Canada

I like this idea very much. I do that sometimes, but I could/should do it more often as it makes me think of ways to resolve the worries so they don't seem so big after all. It's reaffirming to look back and see the list of worries shrinking and a sense of inner-pride knowing I was able to resolve them. Great suggestion. :)

Karen

Most Active