When does your hair get better?

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/14 1:36 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

3 months out and curious when your hair returns to normal.  I have a lot of hair, so I have no thin spots, but I do find it drab and a lot is falling out all over so it is thinner than before (I have(had) very thick hair).  Will it return to normal soon or will I keep losing for a while?

Kelly

Jiliana2
on 7/16/14 3:01 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I started noticing significant loss just before the 3-month mark. I have lots of hair too, so I was not worried.

The loss continued through month 3 and 4. However, I am now at month 5 post-op, and I have to say, while I am still losing a little bit more than usual, the loss that I saw in month 3 and 4 has definitely slowed down. Thank goodness!

I saw my hairdresser about two weeks ago. She told me that my hair was like "someone who had surgery, someone who had iron deficiency, or someone who has thyroid problems." Bully for me; I had all three! Yippee... not.

Anyway, she did tell me that while my hair loss was continuing, it is definitely slowing and I asked her about new growth. She said she can see LOTS of new growth all over my head, but it's all approximately an inch long. It'll take awhile.

I got my shoulder length hair cut super short that day and I love the new look. Everyone compliments me on the changes. I guess between the 95 lbs lost and the change in hairstyle, the changes are beginning to be very noticeable!

That has been my experience anyway. It was hard. As a morbidly obese woman, I always said that my hair was my best physical characteristic. Thick and luxurious, it hurt me to see fistsful go down the drain.

I hope your loss slows down soon too. Wishing you luck Kelly!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

sabrinastrength
on 7/16/14 3:43 am - Canada
I have always had fine, thinning hair so the hair loss has been a bit more stressful for me. I noticed the heaviest loss around 5-9 months. It's a lot better now and just normal loss with the odd day every now and again will notice more than usual but it's manageable.

Lucky you have lots of hair! Mine is regrowing slowly but I'm happy to see the little sprouts coming up... hahaha.

I think everyone is a bit different but I remember the doctor saying between 4-8 months is when it would be heaviest.

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/14 3:48 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Thank you both for your feedback.  Glad to see the turning point will come....  small price to pay for such an awesome surgery but still happy to hear there is an end at some point as my hair looks lifeless.....

lexxiblue
on 7/16/14 5:14 am
RNY on 01/11/12

i guess i was one of the lucky ones and never lost any hair.. altho it has gotten thinner.. (i just figured it was an age thing!).... ALTHO i did start taking biotin before surgery and am still taking it on a daily basis.. supposed to be great for hair and nails.. well my finger  nails never improved but i have awesome toe nails now... ewww TMI i'm sure!

good luck with the hair!

Karen M.
on 7/16/14 7:43 am - Mississauga, Canada

Quite frankly ma'am, you have gorgeous hair. You did pre-op and you do now too. You lucky, lucky *****

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

lalalalaura13
on 7/17/14 5:15 am - Toronto, Canada

I was very curious about that as well - I'm just past the 3 month mark (on the 15th) and I'm not losing a lot but do feel it is significant - especially when it it's wet I pull out a lot.  I decided not to blow dry my hair now in fear of just constant hair being pulled out.  So I'm embracing the little curl I have and letting it dry on its own (thank god it's summer) - I have lots of hair but it's fine and thin.  A friend of mine suggested taking Silica to help with the re-growth.  And another friend suggsted Bio-Sil to me to help with re-growth.  And another friend who had the surgery said she took Biotin 3 times daily.  I'm glad that my hair grows fast anyway - it's always grown fast.  Thanks to everyone *****sponded to this post.  At least we know that it does grow back! It's just not knowing when the worst of it will occur.  I've had nightmares about waking up and finding chunks of hair on my pillow case. 

Laura in Texas
on 7/17/14 5:33 am

Mine fell out from months 3-7. By month 9 I could see lots of little hairs growing back. Mine was back to normal pretty quick and now is more curly so it looks even thicker.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

NorthernStar
on 7/17/14 8:30 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I've always had fine hair but it got really thin. At 3-4 months post-op it was falling out pretty bad. It has taken a long time to come back. Honestly, probably a good year as it re-grew.

You can't stop it, and you can't make it grow back any further. You can control your haircut - try a shorter cut, or a different style. Try products for thinning hair, they can help with volume. My hair is still really fine but I take better care of it now so it looks a lot better.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active