Vets - they DO know a bit! - Long Post

Mary A.
on 7/17/14 2:46 am

wonderful post and thanks for sharing the ups and downs (they really are crazy)...it's a constant challenge to remember you don't need a cup of rice with your 6 bites of steak..although at 5 1/2 yrs post-op it certainly could go down quite easily...but why.

I have to confess after you so vigilantly posted some of your journey confessions.  I was approximately 2 years out and hadn't had a single donut for those entire two years....we have local bakeries here that would make you drool just wlaking by the window..not a chain donut place but still independently city wide known bakeries...

I thought I would pick up a dozen donuts for home and a dozen for work...well when I placed the box in the coffee room I took a donut (because our coffee room is like a vortex when it comes to junk food and I thought it would all be gone by coffee time).

I ate my donut...no problem...then came coffee time 3 hrs later...there were donuts left...I ate another...and YES...one more because all good things come in threes...I am writing this part of my confession to show people that it can be done...but shouldn't...did I have remorse...sure...have I done it in the last 3 years, DEFIANTLY NOT.

So it goes to show that the struggle continues and although my tolerance for sugar seems to have increased....I may have a donut once a month at most and am still checking labels for sugar content etc.

It's all worth it.~!!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

kellybelly333
on 7/17/14 3:08 am - Toronto, Canada

It's amazing how we can be "good" for so long, and then slip up. But it's interesting how much easier it is to get back on the horse. For me, it is anyway. Others might have a different story. Thanks for your post!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Mary A.
on 7/17/14 4:03 am

yes those donuts are in high demand and I am still amazed that a bariatric patient can put 3 donuts down the hatch in one day..I would never recommend it..and like I said I have never done it again..it was sort of like "get it out of my system" and I am with you on how much smoother it is to get back on track...for me it's all about, never having to wear an (x) size in clothing again..oh yeah and able to take the stairs instead of an elevator and not needing a seatbelt extender on an airplane and...and..oh you get the drift..LOL

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

kellybelly333
on 7/17/14 5:42 am - Toronto, Canada

Yep...it does go on and on....so many good things to add to the list. :-)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

highlandbear
on 7/17/14 5:59 am - Canada

Thank you so much for writing this. You said it just perfect. Those old habits come back so easy and you know that is why I have not and will not touch any of my trigger foods that I use to eat before the surgery. To scared that i will not keep it under control but there are some old habits sneaking back in and I am aware of them and working on it. You have done amazing and you will keep the weight of and thanks for realizing the old folks here just want to help

kellybelly333
on 7/17/14 6:13 am - Toronto, Canada

As someone who is starting to be considered an "old folk" herself...I just wanted to remind folks out there that there is good reason to listen. And some might read this (as one already has) and will say "FU" to my post. And to that, I say good luck with your journey....see you in a few years when you ask how to get rid of the regain that you put on because you DIDN"T LISTEN TO THE VETS!!!!!

Monica9811
on 7/17/14 6:24 am - Peterborough, Canada

Looks like she deactivated her account.  Like you said she will be back with regain in a couple of years wondering where she went wrong...

Karen M.
on 7/17/14 6:53 am - Mississauga, Canada

And you know who will help her with support and suggestions and guidance? The vets that she hates so very much.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Wesley T.
on 7/19/14 11:05 am - Canada

How can anyone not say thank you to a Vet. It is almost like saying thank you to your mom, or your dad on fathers or mothers day. Similarly this is a thank you to Vets. Nothing as emotional as a mothers or fathers day, but these Vet's have a place on these boards. Pictures do not lie 3 years out... 5 years out... 9 1/2 years... dear lord out!  We gain from your knowledge, your prior hardship, your prior success translates into our successes. 

Thank you, I will keep an open ear. Not sugar coated! 

Most Active