Extending Opti...am I nuts?

Urbanlamb
on 7/12/14 1:02 am - Canada

M'kay...here's the situation.  I'm supposed to start Opti on the 28th, but my sweet brother is coming down on the 30th for a week.

I love him...only see him about once a year.  But his arrival time truly sucks...I'm afraid I'm going to be a rotten, miserable, headachey mess.  I want to enjoy his visit.  So, I'm thinking of starting Opti sooner, so that by the time he gets here, I'll be past that first 5 or so days of symptoms that everyone is warning me about.

Does that seem reasonable?  To start on let's say the 24th, or 25th, so that when he gets here, I will be in a better frame of mind?

Referral Oct 2012~Orientation May 31/13 at Ottawa Civic~Dr.Dent assessment July 16~Nutritionist and Behaviorist Sept 17~ Ultrasound Oct 17~Second appointment with Nutritionist and Behaviorist Nov 6~Approval for RNY!!~BLADDER CANCER DISCOVERED~Currently undergoing treatment for cancer, plans switched from RNY to sleeve...~GOT DATE FOR SURGERY...AUGUST 18th, 2014 with Dr. Yelle*....February 7/17...2.5 years post up and doing great. Starting process for OHIP funded panniculectomy...

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/14 1:42 am

You must be so excited to see your brother. In my honest opinion, stick with the instructions you were given, also just explain to your brother what "may" happen, not everyone goes through it. You may just be too busy and happy to see your brother that your mind will be on other things. This surgery ect is all about following the plan. Just follow your original instructions, Im sure your brother will understand.

Zizzler
on 7/12/14 2:00 am

Is there any way he could come down earlier or later?  Does he know you are starting opti?  I am in the same boat - will be visiting family I only see once or twice a year the day after I start opti.  I have warned them and am hoping for the best - not everyone has those symptoms when starting opti. I am bringing my Metamucil capsules to take with each shake and Tylenol to help if there are headaches.  Also making sure to bring allowed treats such as sugar-free popsicles and freezies, sf jello, a nice mix of sugar-free beverages, and a whole wack of flavourings for the opti so I feel less deprived. It is up to you of course but if your brother is as sweet as you say then he will understand you may not be feeling your best. 

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/12/14 4:59 am - Windsor, Canada

I know a lady who decided to do it for one More week.  Let's just say it didn't last long.  I just wouldn't change your course. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Zavz
on 7/12/14 5:40 am - Canada

I think the distraction of having a visitor will be good. You don't want to be on it a day more than needed. 

Urbanlamb
on 7/12/14 8:42 am - Canada

Thanks for the feedback.  My brother is Deaf, and has very mild autism.  He's independent and one of the most courageous people I know. 

He knows about the surgery and the Opti and I think he wants to come down to make sure I am ok...he's always been big brother looking after little sister.  This past year has been tough, with my cancer, then losing my hearing, and now getting ready for the surgery.  He just needs to see sister with his own eyes and to give me a week of laughter...he's always good for that.

He'll be down on Wednesday, which is day three of my Opti.  I talked to my Mum, and she'll have him at her place from Wednesday until Friday night.  Then he can come over and stay with me, which is what he usually does when he visits.  I think that will be the best for everyone.  Mum is happy to have him all to herself for a few days, then we'll have the weekend to spend family time together.

I can't wait to see him...I miss him so much.  I think his visit may well just be the perfect distraction while I'm on Opti.

*hugs*

Referral Oct 2012~Orientation May 31/13 at Ottawa Civic~Dr.Dent assessment July 16~Nutritionist and Behaviorist Sept 17~ Ultrasound Oct 17~Second appointment with Nutritionist and Behaviorist Nov 6~Approval for RNY!!~BLADDER CANCER DISCOVERED~Currently undergoing treatment for cancer, plans switched from RNY to sleeve...~GOT DATE FOR SURGERY...AUGUST 18th, 2014 with Dr. Yelle*....February 7/17...2.5 years post up and doing great. Starting process for OHIP funded panniculectomy...

startingmynewlife
on 7/13/14 1:52 am

Stick to the plan!

i didn't find Opti tough at all - with the exception of the taste if the vanilla - otherwise I was not moody etc but I also made food changes 3 months before starting so that I would face that.

good luck

Most Active