Question about Beaches and Gastric bypass

Carbasics
on 7/11/14 3:06 am - Etobicoke, Canada

Hey everyone, hope everyone is having a wonderful day as I am

So my question is I am 2 weeks and 3 days post op. and My scars are pretty much healed and I was wondering if I can go in the summing pool? or go to a lake ? jacuzzi? if not is there any type of tape or something that I can cover my incisions so I can have some fun in the water with my kids, my kids are so sad cause I haven't been able to bring them swimming, so wondering if I can het any helpful tips thank you all

Referral sent- January 31/14 Referral received- February 14/14 Information Session TWH- April 2/14 Social Worker- April 7/14 Nurse PractitionerApril 7/14 Psychometry- April 22/14 Nutrition ClassMay 6/14 Nutrition Assessment- May 16/14 Meet Surgeon - June 5/14 Surgery Date - June 23/14

19star71
on 7/11/14 3:36 am

Make sure the incisions are completely healed.

Your insides take longer to heal and you need to be very cautious in a pool. Its very easy to over do it without realizing. I had permission to go in the pool at 6 weeks.

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

sellarsgal
on 7/11/14 3:57 am - Oshawa, Canada

I think it might be too soon, I was told to wait 4 weeks for swimming etc. I think there is a high risk of infection at this point. Perhaps call the centre?

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

michellecowles
on 7/11/14 4:48 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

you should be making a follow up appointment with your surgeon around this time.. when you go and see your surgeon ask when you can go in the water.. you need clearance first.. but I can tell you that 2 weeks is way too soon.. it's usually around the 4-6 week mark.

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

Linsie
on 7/11/14 6:49 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

I swim all the time but waited until 4 weeks to swim - I was completely healed but still put Tegaderm and a dressing over the incisions to be safe. Tegaderm doesn't keep water out though (it's the stuff they put on you with your IV...clear plastic type thing), air does get in so because of tha****er does as well. It just helps minimize so it's not so submerged.  I'd wait until you're 4 weeks out to be honest, just to be safe. Go in a lake up to your knees, just don't submerge yourself and you should be safe.

4-Jane
on 7/11/14 8:22 am - Canada

Take them and just play in the shallow water or sit in it, I was in the water at two weeks out I just did not ask permission.  My wounds were not open nor infected and were well on there way to healing.  I would not linger in the water but an in and out while keeping things clean seems harmless.  I believed they were worried about me over doing it so I took it easy.  Good luck to you and do take it easy as you have had major surgery.

Respectfully Jane
Carbasics
on 7/11/14 9:00 am - Etobicoke, Canada

Thank you all for your great advice I really appreciate it, I am going to meet the surgeon on august 6 after camping at sauble beach, I would of wanted to see him earlier but there are no more early dates, but I'm going to call regardless to see if I can see him so he can take a look at my incisions.

And thank you all again 

Referral sent- January 31/14 Referral received- February 14/14 Information Session TWH- April 2/14 Social Worker- April 7/14 Nurse PractitionerApril 7/14 Psychometry- April 22/14 Nutrition ClassMay 6/14 Nutrition Assessment- May 16/14 Meet Surgeon - June 5/14 Surgery Date - June 23/14

highlandbear
on 7/11/14 9:17 am - Canada

I was always told it was not the incisions that they were worried about it is the inside that they worry about. They want you to be healed inside.  It is major surgery so talk to them and go by what they say not by what people say on here. They know what went on in the surgery. 

NorthernStar
on 7/11/14 10:41 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I would play it safe and wait the full 4 weeks. I waited 4 weeks just to have a bath in my own tub, but I'm paranoid like that.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/11/14 2:22 pm

I too am an avid swimmer and was told I will need to wait 4 weeks post-surgery to get in the pool.  I was they are concerned about bacteria in the water mostly - so it is not just swimming but waking and wading etc they were concerned about.  I have had over the years other cuts and surgeries and you can get some really grea****erproof bandages out there.  I still would recommend swimming but I think you could protect your wounds (in case they reopen) and take your kids to a splash pad type water park where you don't immerse yourself.

Most Active