Question about rashes pre-WLS

Dreamy74
on 7/10/14 11:43 pm, edited 7/10/14 11:44 pm
RNY on 02/04/15

As a lot of you know I just started the process in May (orientation) so I am a long way off from surgery.  I am currently getting rashes in between my legs where the thigh meets - my underwear lines I guess.  I shower every day and am sure to dry really gently and well in that area but it's becoming really red and sore.  My doctor says there's not really much they can do.  Does anyone have any secrets/tips/tricks for dealing with this?  It is very distressing to me and I want to try to deal with it now as after I have the WLS I am sure I will have lots of loose skin that will also get rashy.  Any advice/comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

NorthernStar
on 7/10/14 11:49 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Oh my, I remember that. Very uncomfortable and sometimes can be downright painful. I don't think it's truly a rash though, it's irritation from skin rubbing together. There was a thread recently on "the chub rub."

I have heard of anti-chafing gel but never tried it before losing weight. That might be worth looking into. Don't stress that you'll have this forever, not everyone has very loose skin and rashes (although some do). I still hope you look forward to losing weight and post-op life. I never get this anymore but I try to always remember the days when I did.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Karen M.
on 7/11/14 12:06 am - Mississauga, Canada

There are creams you can buy, which I learned about in this post: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/5261549/The-Chubb-Rub/

Apparently they work quite well!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Monica9811
on 7/11/14 12:28 am - Peterborough, Canada

You might also want to try spraying anti-perspirant spray in that area or rub deodorant in that area.  I find that really helps too.  At night maybe put baby powder with corn starch to help dry it up.  Good luck!

Catw
on 7/11/14 12:31 am - Arnprior, Canada

Once the rash is under control, try putting deoderant in that area, especially on warm days.  I used to use it on other areas.  And I've also seen this on other sites.

Cathy

redviking
on 7/11/14 12:57 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

In addition to what everyone else has suggested, I try to make sure everything down there is very dry before I get dressed, especially on hot days.  I either use the hair dryer on the cool setting or lay in front of my fan for a couple minutes.   

Also, if it's your underwear that are bugging you, I highly recommend the invisible seamless panties from Mark's Work Wearhouse.  They go up to 2x. There are no elastics to bunch up on you. very comfortable, no rubbing.

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Patm
on 7/11/14 1:09 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Sometimes it can become a yeast infection. If there is odor try a vaginal yeast creme. I used to find them great. Helped to heal the area

Monica M.
on 7/11/14 1:42 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

one thing i learned in my weight gain journey was the importance of wearing underwear that were the right size. Try a bigger size. I know its disheartening to pick up the bigger number, but it might help.

also,with regard to baby powder, corn starch, be careful, because these things can exacerbate fungal rashes (they are starches, and feed the fungus)

Dreamy74
on 7/11/14 1:56 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Thank you all for your replies.  I love this site!!  You gals are the best!  xx

19star71
on 7/11/14 2:00 am

Penaten cream worked for me....not just for diaper rash ;)

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

Most Active