Meeting people I have not seen since my highest weight

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/14 7:00 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

It is so nice to meet people who have last seen me at my highest weight.  They gasp and say they almost did not recognize me and I look awesome......just a nice feeling of accomplishment!!!!  Helps keep me motivated!!!

Kelly

Wesley T.
on 7/5/14 9:35 am - Canada

When people are looking at you in a different way, shocked, surprised... What do you see back in their faces? I assume some will be happiness, shock, some jealous? What have your and other members experiences been like with that. That is fascinating to me.... Well done! You have done ALOT of HARD WORK! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/14 9:16 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Its funny you should ask.  I find people who I know seem really happy, yesterday my personal trainer bumped into me and was so happy and shocked in a good way.  When I bumped into her earlier in the year her at my highest weight, right before the operation, when I was was 60 pounds heavier, I felt ashamed and acted differently.  Yesterday I had the confidence to be friendly.  I think I have realised that I was acting different when I was heavy and now have more confidence and am more open. Having said the in a few weeks I have a family reunion with a few aunts and uncles who I am not that close with who are very judgemental.  I don't care what they think but am looking forward to their reaction as I can see a few comments on why I had the surgery blah blah blah.  Interested to see their reaction.  I do not think everyone is in my corner and rooting for me to be thin and happy.  I think I have to be happy with myself and those who support me are a bonus boost of positivity.....

thanks everyone for the feedback!

Sunny123
on 7/5/14 9:50 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I've only told a few about my surgery. It's no ones business but mine and my family.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Sunny123
on 7/5/14 10:49 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I had that happen to me yesterday. Our retired secretary came into the office for a visit. I drove up and she was standing beside her car.  Her mouth literally hung open. Makes me feel good for sure. She was genuinely happy for me!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Patm
on 7/5/14 12:34 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I had someone reply hi tp me when I said hello to them. They then came back and said they did not know it was me until it dawned on them they recognized my husband. Lol. This has happen quite often. You will get used to it

Karen M.
on 7/5/14 11:01 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Get used to it, Kelly, it's going to happen a lot! About a year post-op I was at a work meeting and a woman I've known for YEARS turned and introduced herself to me. So I introduced myself back. lol The look on her face was priceless. Then she asked me out for lunch - she wanted to inquire about WLS for herself having not recognized me.  Recently I saw my ex-husband who I had not seen in over 6 or 7 years. He didn't say anything other than friendly hellos but he later told our son that he would have walked past me on the street not having a clue who I was. haha

Enjoy the compliments and please don't be surprised or disappointed if people don't comment on the weight loss - they're often unsure what to say, not wanting to offend you or concerned that you may be ill due to the rapid weight loss.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kimber291
on 7/6/14 2:03 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Only a few know I had surgery as well Sunny. I also didn't feel it was anyone else's business unless I chose to make it their's.  

I haven't seen many since my surgery. Although I did see a old coworker on Canada Day that I personally couldn't stand but still say Hi...you know that kind of thing. We had a love hate relationship....Loved to hate each other lol. Anyway you should have seen the way she looked at me when she seen me, looked me up and down like 3 times.  I was like that's right sweetheart get a good look. Then I said Hi how are you and gave her the biggest smile. My husband was laughing at me, didn't I run into her again the next day at the dollar store. Haha. It was a great feeling.

Congrats Kelly. Your doing amazing!

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

tg2013
on 7/6/14 7:33 am - Ottawa, Canada

I find it funny with people I work with . I work in the  children's hospital here in Ottawa. I have had many co-workers ( some I don't even know or never ever spoken too) ask me (a) what diet I am on or (b) am I all right  Have I been sick ? I am more than happy to tell them I had RNY surgery. I am proud of the choice I made and the weight I have lost. I even have some people at work tell me to stop losing weight  I think they think I can control my weight loss

Troy

kathie1212
on 7/6/14 12:07 pm - Stoney Creek , Canada

congratulations  I can't wait :)

Most Active