RNY Surgery , 8 Months out ,137lbs down and in pain everyday !

new_me180
on 7/5/14 3:25 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Hey we are surgery buddies, had surgery the same day. Sorry you're having problems and hope you can get over them pretty soon. No fun being sick, believe, i've had my share of the hospital after surgery. Good luck and awesome job on the weightloss.

highlandbear
on 7/5/14 4:13 am - Canada

So sorry about your pain. I can say I truly understand what you are going through. I lived for 2 years with pain when ever I ate something. They thought gall bladder and removed it and still ended up with pain. one day it was so bad I took a sip of water and the pain started and dry heaves. Ended up in emergency and in hospital where they ran tests. These tests had been done before but this time they caught the problem let me out with a promise to operate in a few weeks which they did and now I feel great. The reason I have told you this I want you to stay positive. Once they get you all fixed up your life will great. Not one did i have any regrets in having the operation. Stay strong and I am here if you need to chat. I do get it.

tg2013
on 7/5/14 6:58 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks all for the concern . I guess the issue is not if I am going to have my gallbladder removed the question the doc has  is Yes you need to get the gallbladder removed but by removing it will it end the 24/7 pain you are it ? Is it the cause ? I have to jump through the hoops do all the tests to make sure the culprit of my pain is the gallbladder and not something else. I do not want to have a surgery  remove the gallbladder and find out after healed from that surgery  I am still suffering from the same pain. Then go through the test routine again set myself up for a third surgery etc etc

As I posted yesterday  I do not show "A" typical signs of a gallbladder attack or issue. I do not get sick nor break into a fever, The pain does not come and go  it's always there and I do not get massive abdominal cramps . Yes  the two tests I did show a blocked gallbladder and my doc is well aware of that  however I show other symptoms of other things and by doing a endoscope in February they found a Systemic ulcer which has yet to heal 100% .

My doc said she only wants to go back in once and resolve what ever issue or issues that are apparent but to do that it will take more tests and do some treatment .  I am living with the pain under my shoulder blade  it does not flare up to often it's just there all the time. The other symptoms I show are because of the ulcer and I am on meds for that . In 4 weeks I meet with the surgeon again and we will discuss the road I will need to go down.

troy 

Darbaybe_2014
on 7/6/14 9:58 pm - Kitchener, Canada

First off let me say I am sorry you are having such a tough time. I am confident though they will find out what the culprit is and get you fixed up.

Secondly I want to tell you I am PRE Surgery  ( Guelph) , have had all my tests done, met with SW, Nurse and Dietician....have my second appointment with all 3 of them at the end of August....from there I don't know what will happen. While waiting for all the appointments I have had some days when I really question if surgery is the right thing to do....the wait is so long and it feels so unreal at times...I have not shared with many people my decision as I am not sure I will even be cleared and I know amongst my friends and family there will be many who will attempt to change my mind....I needed to read your words today.... I am 281 pounds right now and the pain in my body is daily due to the extra weight on a small frame, leg cramps and knee pain are daily...You reminded me why I need to stay strong and follow through with what I started....my reasons are to be healthy and comfortable in  my own skin.

I thank you for sharing so honestly your journey and also being real about the struggles after surgery......BUT then still saying you wouldn't change your decision to have surgery....that spoke volumes to me....sometimes on these boards I read all the positive success stories and actually I have looked for the  other side of things, to balance my view and understanding of surgery...you have given the other side...BUT still hold true to your decision to have surgery and it seems the benefits of the weight loss are still outweighing  the pain you are having.

I will keep you in my thoughts and hope you find some relief soon!

Thanks  :)

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

tg2013
on 7/7/14 7:32 am - Ottawa, Canada

HI Darlene

Thanks  for your words, you made me feel like I did accomplish something by posting a bit about me and my journey. The biggest thing for me I guess Is not using the surgery for  weight loss it's using the surgery so I can be healthier in life  the weight loss is a by product of the surgery . The fact I will feel better,  not have to take medications for diabetes and hopefully live longer and see my 2 year old grandson grow up into an adult  is the reason I did the surgery

I had and still have family members who don't understand why I did it , they don't understand How the surgery works and you  know what   I can tell them over and over again and it does not sink in. In the long run it does not matter what a family member says or a friend or a stranger says if it is negative  you ignore it and move on  I have had more than a fair share of positive comments and that's what I take to heart .  People Here are very helpful and the site can be very positive. The truth is  not everything goes well for everyone. I am one in the % that is having trouble. I am lucky in a way to be a single guy with no one to drag me down with negative thoughts  My main thought is the doc will find out the reason I am in pain and she will take the proper actions to rectify it. Once I feel 100%  watch out world  Here I come

Troy

Ps  I really suggest you look over my blog  Go to the beginning and read what I went through    be strong in will and be positive  the sun always rises  just sometimes the clouds block it out

Darbaybe_2014
on 7/7/14 8:40 am - Kitchener, Canada

Thanks Troy , I checked out your BLOG it looks interesting. I will be sure to read it.  thank you for your advice and positive comments.

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

Lori W.
on 7/7/14 8:52 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

Troy,

I understand your patience as I would only want to undergo 1 surgery for multiple problems, too. I had my gallbladder out long before - 11 years - my RNY. I don't know if they've improved surgery since 2003 but my gallbladder surgery was more painful than the RNY. I wish you a speedy solution and recovery.

Terry_R.
on 7/8/14 4:32 am - Canada

Hi Troy,

I can totally relate to what you are going through at the present time.  I had my RNY done June 12, 2014 and I had an uneventful time until about February of this year.  I had all sorts of tests done and they could not really find anything wrong with me.  I ended up going to emergency at the hospital where I had my surgery done and they found what they thought was the problem, gall stones.  I was scheduled to meet with a surgeon at the hospital and did meet with him.  Once he found out who my surgeon was that did my RNY he sent me to see her immediately.  She looked at things and scheduled my gall bladder removal, but she also wanted to check on how the RNY was doing while she was in there.  What should have been a routine 1 to 1 1/2 hour surgery turned into 4 and a half hours on the table.  She found that I had an internal hernia, caused by the bowel slipping through the void created when they move the stomach.  She was able to get this all straightened out and I have had no issues since the surgery, that was April 3 this year.  If you are meeting with your surgeon I would recommend that he/she contact Dr. Mary-Anne Aarts at Toronto East General Hospital to discuss what I went through.  Dr. Aarts is doing more research on this to find a way of detecting the internal hernia before having to go in and look around.  It may not be the same thing you have but it is another possibility and should be explored as if untreated it can cause some serious complications.

I hope that it all goes well for you and things get sorted out.

Terry

tg2013
on 7/8/14 7:54 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thanks Terry. I will let the surgeon know what you said. Could you tell me some of your symptoms you experienced

Troy

Terry_R.
on 7/8/14 10:02 am - Canada

I was having back pain,  all across my back at what I would say was kidney area,  severe abdominal pain after I ate but less intense a few hours after eating.   I was having terrible trouble going to the washroom.   At first the doctor thought it was constipation,  then they thought it was gall bladder.   It wasn't until I was on the table having my gall bladder removed that my surgeon found the hernia.   She told me after the surgery that more than likely I didn't have to have my gall bladder removed.   

From what I understand now is that the new protocol is to close this opening during the initial surgery, but that is at my centre.  

I hope that this is of assistance to you.   Definitely talk to your surgeon as soon as possible about this as if it goes unresolved it can cause serious other problems. 

Dr. Aarts office number is 416-461-8363.   I am sure that she would be more than happy to assist your surgeon with diagnosing. 

All the best and get well. 

Most Active