High Heels after WLS?

Dreamy74
on 6/27/14 2:37 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hello out there in OH land!  I have a question - I have always been overweight and haven't been able to wear heels since I became over 200 pounds which was in my early 20s. Now I am 286 (at 5'6") and I can't wear high heels due to my weight and foot troubles.  Were any of you in this same boat before WLS and what about after?  Are you now able to wear high heels?  I would love to know your experience.  Please share!

Thanks so much in advance

Laurie C.
on 6/27/14 2:59 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

HI:

I'm a lot older than you but I have 3 inch heels I can wear now AND a pair of black boots (Michael kors) and a pair of brown boots that fit over my calf and I can wear comfortably.  There is always hope.  I love my boots.  I remember being so amazed that the boots went over my calf, one of my best things ever.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

NorthernStar
on 6/27/14 3:36 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Sadly I'm just as uncoordinated in heels now as I was pre-op. I have decided I'm just not a high heels gal. I don't have problems with my feet normally but heels hurt. I just can't do it! I think you'll find it will be a bit easier though once you've lost weight, good luck!

(For the record I also thought I'd like to wear formal clothes more once I lost weight, that they would be more comfortable. Nope, turns out I just hate pants. Yoga pants and sneakers forever!!)

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

kathie1212
on 6/27/14 11:49 am - Stoney Creek , Canada

I miss sexy heels!!!! and ice skating !!!! can't wait yo be able to do both again

KarenHope
on 6/28/14 9:00 am, edited 6/28/14 9:01 am
RNY on 04/15/13

Oh yes. I just love my heels now. I was determined to learn how to walk in them. No more ugly shoes for this girl! Check out these shoes. The picture is a bit old but the shoes are still working for me. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/photos/album/124088/857377

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

Sunny123
on 6/29/14 8:49 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I had a lot of foot troubles pre surgery. Plantar fasciitis and orthotics. My feet felt like they were bleeding. 

Post surgery and almost 90 lbs down I can wear heels again although not 4" but definitely 3". My feet shrunk too. I'm down a foot size. 

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Onward and
Downward

on 6/29/14 10:46 pm, edited 6/29/14 10:47 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

The biggest reason I had weight loss surgery was to get my mobility back. I didn't lose 160 lbs to destroy my feet and legs with heels, which is what would happen if I wore them - I know other people can wear them without problems, although I've heard they do long term damage to your feet and legs over years of wearing them. 

Also, I find that heels limit my ability to walk long distances throughout the day. Now, I don't always walk long distances, but I want to be able to do it on the spur of the moment at any time, and I don't want to try and think at the beginning of the day whether this will be a day without a lot of walking. I want every day to be a day with lots of walking, or at least the potential for it. If I wear heels, there's no potential.

Don't mind me. Heels are almost political for me, honestly - I don't understand why it is considered attractive to wear shoes that limit our mobility throughout the day.  I have pretty shoes, and I do like shoes and boots a lot - they just don't have heels, that's all. :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/14 11:14 pm

I wear wedges now.About three inches.Nothing higher than that.

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/14 5:20 am - Toronto, Canada

I can't wait to wear all the heels comfortably...I buy them on impulse, and on the very rare occasion I have worn a pair out, I have been in majour pain and it has spoiled my entire evening... But yet, I still seem to buy and collect them! I seem to be drawn to the stilettos for the most part, which are the worst.

Most Active