More vitamin help

kimber291
on 6/25/14 11:29 am, edited 6/25/14 11:30 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I had lab work done last month at my 3 month check up and didn't hear back so I am assuming that everything came back okay. I go see the surgeon in a couple weeks I wonder if he would have a copy of the labs and could tell me if my calcium levels were high or not. 

Maybe for now if I do have cheese strings etc that day I will cut out the 2nd calcium. 

Thank you :-)

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Soon_to_Shrink
on 6/25/14 12:29 pm

Not sure if it helps but the schedule ottawa suggests is

breakfast - multi vitamin + B12 (they recommend 2 one-a-day type Chewables, based on what you bought you'd have to take 6) I imagine your Chewables are just smaller, the Opurity which is designed for post surgery so you just take one is rediculously huge.

lunch - calcium 500-600mg and Vitamin D 200-400mg

dinner - calcium 500-600mg and Vitamin D 200-400mg

bedtime - calcium 500-600mg and Vitamin D 200-400mg

based on what you bought I' d be inclined to go with 2 doses of calcium + D. so either lunch and dinner, dinner and bed, or lunch and bed but not all three.

only thing you can't do is take the calcium with iron in your multi.

TracyLynn2BThin
on 6/25/14 2:45 pm

Hi Everyone!

This is actually my first post. I am pre op and my surgery date is 7/7. I can only tell you what my Bariatric center and doctor recommended but I hope it helps. I am looking at the packet right now. I have personally ordered all of my vitamins as chewables from a bariatric supplier online. I choose Celebrate.

You really don't get to start your vitamins until phase II. You can NOT mix your Multi-vitamin with your Calcium Citrate (should be between 1200-1500mg total per day) with Vitamin D (at least 400 IU per unit). You must take them 2 hours apart. You can choose to do daily b-12 sublingual (500mcg- tablet or liquid) or get a monthly shot (1000mcg). Iron for menstruating women- Iron Goal should be 50-100 mg elemental iron/day (18-27 mg of Elemental Iron IN ADDITION To the 36 MG you will receive from taking 2 Multi- vitamins). DO NOT Mix Iron and Calcium. Must be taken 2 hours apart.

So my take away from this..Just take each vitamin...2 hours apart to make it easy on myself.  Here is what I ordered for myself:

Calcium PLUS 500 Package (3 flavor) - 90 Day - take 3 per day

Multi-Complete (Forest Berry) - 90 Day - take 2 per day

Iron+C 30 mg Chewable (Grape) - 90 Day- take 1 per day

B-12 Sublingual Quick-melt (Cherry) - 90 Day- take 1 per day

Now, this is for someone just starting out. I sure do hope this clears things up for you. Wishing you nothing but the best! TracyLynn

birdiegirl
on 6/25/14 8:03 pm

I cannot stress to you enough to follow the schedule your centre gave you....and not take medical ( including vitamin) advice on the internet...

Everyone's labs are different....for example Leanne is off calcium while her levels are high........I do not - nor have I ever - taken B12.....

Please......take what your centre advises and in the dose amounts recommended......

Some of the advice given is good IMO...but before self medicating....please discuss with your centre so they can give you advice tailored to your specific situation

Leanne1
on 6/25/14 9:06 pm - Newmarket, Canada

Yep! I TOTALLY agree with checking with the centre! I did mention that.. I don't do anything without their advice when it comes to this kind of thing. 

It's EXTREMELY important!! 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Most Active