Anyone at HRRH?

LynTO
on 6/25/14 2:56 am - Canada

Hi,

My name is Lyn and I am just beginning the process and was wondering if anyone could kindly answer the following questions for me:

1. If I have received the information session date does that mean that I am approved to have the surgery (I have no other major medical issues)?

2. If I should lose weight before surgery and I drop below the BMI range for OHIP coverage will they cancel the surgery?

3. Can anyone tell me what the current wait time for HRRH is?  And how long it takes to have the other appointments booked after the information session?

I apologize as I know these questions are most frequently asked. I will greatly appreciate any guidance with regards to this process.

Thanks,

Lyn

jaxie77
on 6/25/14 7:21 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey Lynn , 

Welcome to the board :) 

I am a ways through the process and am at HRRH . So, first off , the info seesion is just that . It's a session where you and around 20/30 others will gather and be given all the information you need on Bariatric surgery so that you can make an informed decision on wether or not to proceed . You will be asked at the end of this session to sign and indicate if you are still willing to go ahead or not . 

The next step will be a meeting with your surgeon . He will go over all your medical history and i think he decides at this point if he thinks you are a candidate or not . For your BMI question im not sure about that. I think if you are over a bmi of 35 or so then I'd say you would qualify at this point . If you lose weight on the journey before surgery , im not sure how that goes if you go under 35 . ( I could be totally wrong here , but im sure someone will correct me ;)  ! ) 

My referral was received at the Bariatric clinic at the end of sept 13' , I had my info session end of March and my first surgeon appointment on May1st ....saw the Internist June 9th . Had a sleep study June 16 and I see the social worker , nurse and dietician all on July 4th . I beleive at this point , if they all approve me , I get another appointment with my surgeon and he gives me a date . ( fingers crossed) So ...I may be looking at august or september , which would be a year since referral . But its all went by at a nice pace for me so far , ive learned so much on these boards , that quite frankly , I would not learn anywhere else . And the support system is outstanding ! Im so glad I found this and im sure this will continue to be a major tool in my journey after surgery too . 

I wish you all the best and hope all goes well , and look forward to chatting with you :) 

Jax 

LynTO
on 6/25/14 8:32 am - Canada

Hi Jax!

Thanks so much for replying!  Yes my doctor did tell me it would be a while however, I got the info session pretty quick so I was just looking for an idea of how long it took at HRRH specifically.

Thanks again!

anniew72
on 6/25/14 8:07 am

Hi Lyn

I am just starting the process myself out of HRRH, I have my info session on July 14, so I cannot answer any of these questions, but I wish you luck.

When do you have your info session? 

Annie

LynTO
on 6/25/14 8:36 am - Canada

Hi Annie!

I'm on July 21st, thanks!  I wish you the best in this process as well!

anniew72
on 6/25/14 8:42 am

Will keep you posted how things are going.

kimber291
on 6/25/14 10:10 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

If your BMI is over 40 then your almost certain to qualify. If it's under 40 I believe it has to be over 35 with co morbidities. I wouldn't go losing any weight until after you meet with the surgeon and getting approved first.  I have heard of others losing and putting their BMI at a lower number and not qualifying anymore.  

Good luck! They are wonderful at Humber. I had my surgery with Dr Klein back on February 11th.  Best decision I ever made!

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

LynTO
on 6/25/14 4:16 pm - Canada

Thanks for the info Kimber! 

Pegasus_AM
on 6/25/14 7:46 pm

Hi  Lyn, I'm very new to this whole process myself. I was just wondering how long you waited from referral date to orientation date. I was referred May 14th a 2014 and I haven't heard a thing. I don't even know if they recieved my referral. Is that normal ?

LynTO
on 6/26/14 12:49 am - Canada

Hey Pegasus_AM,

Not sure about anyone else but, my referral was sent April 9th and I received my package in the mail May 30th. Hopefully your package will be mailed out to you shortly, I didn't get a phone call, I just opened my mail box and it was there! Call your doctors office to ensure it was received.  

All the best!

Most Active