For those of you who went through Toronto Western Hospital - social work assessment...

Dreamy74
on 6/24/14 6:04 am
RNY on 02/04/15

I have my social work assessment coming up the first week of July and I am nervous about it.  For those of you who went through TWH how did your social work assessment go?  I think mine is with a lady named Lynn?  What can I expect to happen at the appointment?  Please share your experience - I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks,

Dreamy

Soon_to_Shrink
on 6/24/14 6:28 am

I didn't go through the assessment at TWH but in Ottawa they have a question on the form that asks you to give your goal weight.  I wrote that I didn't have a goal weight - I just want to be healthy where ever that may land on the scale.  The psych assessor was super happy and said it is a trick question - they want people going through this process to be focussed on health not being skinny, fitting into a bikini or fixated on a particular number on the scale.  Those latter goals often lead to unrealistic expectations which can be hard to manage post-surgery.  They may also ask about your support systems.

Just my 2 cents

Cottagenanny
on 6/24/14 7:21 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

Hi Dreamy,  I went through TWH as well, had a great social work but mine was a man.  Ask questions along the lines of the forms we filled out and also tackled how long I had been overweight, things I tried in the past to lose weight, family support, realistic goal setting, did I think I was emotionally ready for this process and what was I doing to help prepare myself for the chances that will occur - doing a food diary to help see where I need help, getting family on board - so getting rid of items of food that may be a problem, etc.  It was actually an enlightening appointment for me - got to admit I did a little crying while I was there, but the social worker was great.  I was nervous as well, but it was a good appointment that opened my eyes to some issues in myself that I had not thought about.  Hope my little blurb helps a little, good luck.  :)

Take care,  

Holly

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

Dreamy74
on 6/24/14 7:43 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Thank you both for your thoughtful replies. This gives me less anxiety now that I know what a little of the process will be. Thank you again! xxoo

Most Active