Summer Challenge - Active Minutes - Start counting your minutes today! Anyone can join!

kellybelly333
on 6/23/14 5:47 am - Toronto, Canada

As we wait for final numbers for the Step into Spring Challenge, our summer challenge begins.

Here's how it works. Everyone tells us to move more....and now we should move more, with a little oomph! Most of us have FitBits or other devices that will tell us just how active we are being. Yes, we can stroll around and rack up steps...but can you take those steps and move a little faster? Can you add a class to your schedule that you've never tried before? Can you catch up with your kids/grandkids? 

The point of this challenge is to think about HOW active you actually are. This is a fun challenge, and gets you moving. I wanna hear about sweat this time, not steps!

If you need any help adding up your Very Active Minutes for the week, just let me know. We will figure out how to add together. Trying not to double up on minutes will be the challenge. For instance, I do a 45 minute spin class...but usually only 38 of those minutes are Very Active (I will not include the warm up and cool down). If you have any discrepancies, let me know. 

I have the following people signed up

TanyaLH

Zizzler

Karen M

Robyn R.

Nana_hi

Delicious_Deliliah

Laurie C

Riding Fan

hibbyangel

highlandbear

Kwelbru

Tiffany1971

Onward and Downward

I will be making the teams based on results from the first week, as it will be hard to judge just how much people will get in until after that. 

I like to Move It Move It!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 6/23/14 5:52 am, edited 6/23/14 5:52 am - Mississauga, Canada

So just to be clear - I will only log very active minutes toward this challenge?

ETA: Never mind, I just reread and answered my own question. lol Ok, I will try :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 6/26/14 12:14 am - Toronto, Canada

LOL. I wasn't on OH the past few days...but your edit made me giggle. I think you can do it! I think that even walking at a faster-than-normal pace puts you into very active minutes. I've noticed that in the spikes on the graph we have on FitBit...just walking from the subway can get me into the green. Now, if I stop to window shop, or i'm gabbing on the phone, I don't get those minutes.  

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 6/26/14 12:18 am - Mississauga, Canada

I did day 1 of the Couch to 5K at about 6 AM and was surprised I could even DO it. But I didn't get "very active" minutes, only "pretty active", even with jogging. LOL

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Delicious_Delilah
on 6/23/14 7:17 am - Ottawa, Canada

Sadly, remove me from the list please...surgery and all!  Have fun!

Delicious Delilah!

kellybelly333
on 6/26/14 1:01 am - Toronto, Canada

all for a good cause though!! Very exciting!

LilyBugsMommy
on 6/23/14 9:49 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I would like to join! 

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Onward and
Downward

on 6/23/14 10:13 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Interesting - I just checked last week's totals and even though I cycle to and from work for a total of about 1.5 hours a day, I only had around 20-30 "very active minutes" those days. I'm not sure how FitBit can tell whether I'm being very active when I'm cycling since it doesn't seem to "grab" the steps much, but I feel pretty darn active when I'm riding! LOL. Oh well, I'll stick with just the minutes from FitBit instead of trying to figure it out myself. :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

kellybelly333
on 6/26/14 1:03 am - Toronto, Canada

What FitBit do you have? I have the Flex, and I wonder if having the One in your Bra makes a difference. Not sure how else to count it. Maybe add 30 minutes a day when you ride?

Onward and
Downward

on 6/26/14 7:33 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I have the One, and in my bra. :)

But as you were saying earlier, perhaps it's that it doesn't count it as "very active" when I'm coasting, just when I'm pedaling really hard. I don't coast a whole lot, but I do if I happen to be going downhill or coming up to a stop light.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active