Home from hospital. Happy for the most part!

SulowskiT
on 6/21/14 10:53 am

Just returned home from 4 days in hospital after surgery. Feeling good and happy for the most part. I went Into surgery knowing there was a slight change I would get a sleeve instead of RNY and that is what happened. I had psyched myself out for that and now have to get my head around this new curveball.

Hope I am just as successful as I could have been with the RNY. 

Anyone else experience this? How has it worked out for you?

awesome care by the team at st. Joes hamilton. Only met dr. Anvari for about 5 minutes but I think he did a great job. Minimal bruising etc. now if only my veins were better I wouldn't look like I just went through a war. Tons of bruising on both arms and hands. Oh well, no pain no gain right?

looking forward to my new life. Down 25 lbs including the pre surgery optifast.  Good start I think.

T

Almostthere1966
on 6/21/14 12:37 pm - Canada

Welcome home.

Think bruising with blood taking and IV insertion is a mandatory at St Joes. ahhahah. Was in Emerg just last Friday and same thing.

Going o be seeing Dr Gmora this coming Thursday

Kathy

Sassy75
on 6/21/14 12:48 pm - North York, Canada

I am getting the sleeve also. But mine is planned. Is 4 days average for sleeve? I thought it was around 2 days... 

How are you feeling overall? Much pain? Difficulty drinking?

SulowskiT
on 6/21/14 12:49 pm

Not much pain but I did have trouble getting the fluids down. That is why I ended up staying the extra day. I was told three was normal. I don't regret it. I felt great going home today. Can't wait to finally have a shower tomorrow. 

Sassy75
on 6/22/14 12:27 am - North York, Canada

I'm so happy for you!!! I will be watching your progress as not many sleeve people out there ;)

if you don't mind me asking, what was your starting weight? Pre-opti, post opti? 

SulowskiT
on 6/22/14 12:57 am

So far so good. I lost 16 lbs pre surgery and since my surgery last Wednesday I am down another 9. Lbs.  still trying to figure out best way to get the fluids in but today is really the first full day out of hospital and off an IV. 

Sassy75
on 6/22/14 6:31 am - North York, Canada

When you say getting your fluids in, what issues are you having? Is it because you feel sick when you drink? 

SulowskiT
on 6/22/14 12:05 pm

Oddly enough I couldn't tolerate the smell of the boost drink they kept offering me. Right after the surgery my sense   of smell became very acute. I actually had to ask an intern to stand away from me as his cologne was making my stomachs do somersaults. However, by the next day I forced myself to drink it and it went down just fine.

I don't have any issues with the premier protein shake. In fact I can down one in about 20 minutes. I haven't pushed the envelope to see how quickly I could drink it, but after each sip I get a bit of a gurgle or bubble in my chest so I guess that is telling me to slow down. I don't think it means I am full though.

no more nausea like I had in the hospital and I only have taken pain meds a couple of times. One of my incisions it a bit larger than the rest and closer to my waistline so that area is somewhat more sensitive.

that is my experience so far!!

Zizzler
on 6/22/14 6:17 am

Wow, that is quite a surprise. Did they say why they had to do a sleeve instead?

SulowskiT
on 6/22/14 12:08 pm

Dr gmora told me there was a chance just because I had endometriosis surgery about 20 years ago, and a bowel obstruction surgery where they had to remove part of my bowel. He said there was a a slight chance and sure enough I had too many lesions or something that didn't allow RNY. Dr. Anvari stated the same thing two minutes before my surgery since that was the first time I had met him. I told him to try for the RNY but do what needed to be done.

oh well, working on getting my head around that one still. Gonna make it work!!!

Most Active