Question about your feet after WLS

Dreamy74
on 6/18/14 1:38 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hello all!  My feet are a size 6.5 and are very wide I think because I am so chubby.  I am 5'6" and about 286 pounds at last weigh back in April.

I am wondering, for those of you who've had WLS and have lost lots of weight, did your feet change?  Were you able to buy "normal" width shoes?  Did your size shrink?  I have been wondering about this for a while so I thought I would ask. 

Caroline K.
on 6/18/14 1:45 am

I've seen this mentioned on the main RNY forum, so you probably want to try searching there. There are definitely a few people who mentioned dropping shoe sizes, and some dropped width as well, as they lost weight.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Sunny123
on 6/18/14 1:46 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I was a 10 or 10.5 and am now 9.5.  I am still losing...most of my old shoes now fit me (the ones I grew out of).

Good luck with your journey! 

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Catw
on 6/18/14 2:10 am - Arnprior, Canada

Yep, your feet will change.  Not sure the length actually changes (that's a bone thing) but it will get narrower, which may cause you to go down a size since you won't need the width offered by the longer length.

I was in size 10 comfort skates and am now in size 8 hockey skates.  Might have been able to go with 8.5, but I can still last a whole hockey practice with my son  in them and longer in public skating.  Also, if you like "tall" boots/shoes, you'll find you'll be able to fit into them better too.

Cathy

Laurie C.
on 6/18/14 3:53 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

One great thing after the surgery is that you can SEE your feet and admire your thinner ankles.  My feet lost .5 size but that was it and yes I now have spaghetti feet.  Size 9.5 noodles

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

LilyBugsMommy
on 6/18/14 4:40 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I went down two shoe sizes, from a ladies 10 to a ladies 8. I think my feet are narrower as well.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

BluIzGal
on 6/18/14 7:40 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I didn't lose a size in all my shoes, just my heels. I used to have to buy them a size bigger to accommodate swelling which they no longer do. An added bonus, less pedicures are required to deal with calluses I had. Now I get them "just because". 

Patricia

PaulaToronto
on 6/18/14 7:58 am - Toronto, Canada

Its funny, I was always a 7.5 in shoes and a 8 in runners.  With the weight gain my sizes went up .5 of a size.  Now with weight loss I am back to a 7.5 in shoes but still a 8.5 in runners - Weird but I think they make runners small.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Onward and
Downward

on 6/18/14 1:46 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I'm not sure whether I've dropped in size, because depending on the cut of the shoes, I take anywhere from an 8.5 to a 10. But I used to only be able to wear specialty shoes that were extra wide. Now I can often fit into shoes off the rack from normal shoe stores. So that's kind of neat. My knee-high winter boots before surgery cost me $300. (Sold them once I lost weight because the calves were so wide, but it was also the shoe part that had to be wide as well.)  My knee-high winter boots this year? Got them for half price on Boxing Day for $35. Oh yeah!

I can still only wear flats, though. But I'm happy to do that. The main reason I had this surgery was to improve my mobility. I'm not going to risk damage to my feet and legs by wearing heels, and besides, I always want to be able to walk long distances at all times no matter what shoes I'm wearing. I can't do that in heels, unfortunately.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active