Skin and Surgery Date

startingmynewlife
on 6/3/14 1:15 pm

I got my surgery date today (July 10) - I have a question. I am wondering about excess skin after surgery. I plan on having plastics done at some point, when it is appropriate, but i am wondering, can you "hide it" at all before you have skin removed? I started with a trainer and have changed how I eat to reflect what I will be doing post op and have lost 31lb - I haven't noticed any excess skin yet - but I am only down 30lb...

(deactivated member)
on 6/3/14 2:44 pm

I would suggest if you are going to do plastics get to your goal weight and maintain it for at least 6 months, because their is no sense getting plastics done if you are not done loosing or if you happen to gain some. I would also suggest concentrate on your current surgery before you worry about another as it will be some time before plastics will happen.

Patm
on 6/3/14 9:24 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congrats on losing 30 lbs. That is a great accomplishment.

You do not mention how much you will be losing. A lot of people use shape wear to hide some of the excess. You will not be able to hide the bat wings. I used to worry about it and wear only sleeved tops but I have come to terms with it and just ignore it. My thighs are very lumpy so I only wear long shorts or capris. I think most doctors suggest waiting a year after reaching goal to have plastics. I think being in maintenance for a while is a good idea.

Good luck with your surgery. I will add you to the surgery list.

Delicious_Delilah
on 6/3/14 9:52 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I'm having the first of probably two surgeries on July 10 (surgery twins in a way), except that I'll be having a tummy tuck with hernia repair. I will be two years out from RNY on August 15. 

The plastic surgeon does require you to be at a stable weight for six months. I probably would not be having a tummy tuck quite so quickly, except I have a hernia that needs to be dealt with, so it made sense to do both at once. 

The other surgey that I do want is the excess skin on arms and legs. Of course, I started at a much higher weight, and have a lot of excess skin. That'll be done in due course. No ru****'s not so bad, but something I want to do for myself. 

But really focus on the RNY and losing all the weight...then see how you feel. Who knows, maybe your skin will bounce back!

Mary A.
on 6/5/14 4:57 am

Weight will redistribute itself and it depends on how long you were obese and how much your skin actually stretched and how much weight you end up losing. 

For me I had lost 123bs but was obese for almost 20 years..my skin wasn't bouncing back, so Spanx became my partner whether it was in jeans or a nice shapely dress.

I am 5 years post-op maintaining a weight loss of 114 lbs and will have my panni removal and full tummy tuck (upgrade) for approx. $3600-$4,000) at the end of August.  I am looking forward to seeing my toes even better and not having any hot spots in that area.

Keep up with the trainer, they will help you achieve your goals.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

kellielovesanthony200

on 6/11/14 6:24 am

what is a panni 

Karen M.
on 6/11/14 6:33 am - Mississauga, Canada

Panniculectomy - surgical removal of the excess skin on the lower abdomen below the belly button (often called an "apron").

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active