Vitamins issues

Cottagenanny
on 6/7/14 10:46 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

Hey Kelly, where did you buy your Opurity chewables and did they taste okay.  I'm still having troubles getting in my vitamins, right now I take the Materna and it's hard getting them down, so I'm looking for options.

Thanks.  Holly

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/14 12:03 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Order them from Unjury.com.  They are bearable and I am the fussiest person with chewables, usually hate all of them.  So if I find them 20% bearable they are probably 60% bearable to others or good.  I just find they taste sweet.  

Kelly

poet_kelly
on 6/7/14 10:53 am - OH

I don't cut my multi in two, no.  I normally swallow one multi and two calcium pills in one swallow.  But you can cut them in half if you prefer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cottagenanny
on 6/7/14 10:58 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

Hi poet_kelly, we were told never to take our calcium and multi's at the same time.  Must be at least 2 hours between them as the calcium doesn't let the multi absorb properly.  Were you told differently.

Holly

Orientation March 13, 2013 / Social Worker June 11 / Nurse Practitioner July 10 / Nutrition class, Blood, ECG Aug. 20 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Penner Sept. 20 / CT Scan Oct. 10 / Surgeon Consult - Dr. Urbach Oct. 18 / Psychologist Oct. 30 / Nutritionist Oct. 30 / Dr. Urbach Dec. 13 / PAATS Jan. 24 / Surgery February 3, 2014    

poet_kelly
on 6/7/14 11:00 am - OH

Yes, I was told differently, and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says differently.

The only thing calcium interferes with is the absorption of iron.  You will absorb everything in a multi (including vitamin A, all the B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, copper, zinc, and selenium) if you take your multi with calcium EXCEPT iron, if you are using a multi with iron.

It's calcium and iron that must be taken two hours apart.  I take iron at a separate time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cottagenanny
on 6/7/14 11:15 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 02/03/14

Okay, thanks for the info.   :)

Holly

JJ_
on 6/8/14 7:39 am

Wow that sucks.  I take my multivitamins (Senior - i.e. without iron) at 7 a.m. and at 5 p.m.  I supplement iron with Feramax.  I also have had a complete thyroidectomy surgery (February 2014) and had a complication of my parathyroid glands having to be re-implanted.  They are still on vacation and not working.  Because the parathyroid glands control your calcium, I take 27 calcium citrate pills per day (3 pills every 2 hours from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.)  So I would be really in a pickle if I could not swallow pills.  At 7 a.m. I take a multi and 3 calcium citrate along with some other pills and swallow them right after each other with a gulp of liquid.

I hope you are able to figure your way out of this issue.

Judy

Karen M.
on 6/8/14 7:58 am - Mississauga, Canada

27 - wow. It's great to see you posting JJ - wi**** was better news. Be well.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

JJ_
on 6/8/14 10:07 am

Thanks Karen.  I have thyroid cancer and will have radioactive iodine in August.  Gratefully my weight has stayed stable while the thyroid meds (which control your metabolism) have been adjusted 3 times since surgery.

Judy

Karen M.
on 6/8/14 11:17 am - Mississauga, Canada

Oh Judy. I'm sorry. Truly. Keep us updated, ok? Thinking of you.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active