NEWBIE HERE- 1st post. Looking for support and current wait times Toronto

reliena
on 6/4/14 11:33 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Honestly, you should be if you are already a seasoned driver. Part of the reason I didn't resume my lessons was that I actually travel to them, outside of Toronto (Stouffville) and at a week out, I didn't feel like I could get there on transit. It can take 2 hours each way! So then we realized if I scheduled my lesson for just after lunch, my fiance could pick me up (he works in Stouffville) during his lunch and then take me home with him. So I've been doing that since. It's kind of nice ;)

It's so much easier learning to drive outside of Toronto, and also $300 cheaper! 

I was going out for 20-30 min walks on my own by a week out. Yesterday was four weeks from surgery, and today I was out, taking transit and walking around town from 7:45am - 3pm. That was my "biggest day" so far! I'm lucky in that I get over five weeks before I have to get back to working.

Referral 08/13, Orientation TWH 09/18/13, SW 09/26/13, NP 09/26/13, Surgeon Appt 12/13/13, MRI 01/06/14, Nut Class 01/14/14, Nut 01/20/14, Scopes 02/21/14, Psych 02/25/14, Dr. Urbach 03/28/14, PATTS 04/15/14, SURGERY 05/06/14!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 11:46 am - Toronto, Canada

Funny, I am going to Stouffville tomorrow. One of my largest accounts is there (I work in sales) That is also another reason I wonder about recovery, as I know I could get the time off, but I make commission on top of my salary and if I am not working, then I am not getting that commission, and living downtown Toronto as a single gal isn't cheap! 

Seems like you are 95% there then! If you were able to spend a full day walking around! Woohoo you will be fully healed with plenty of the summer left to enjoy it sounds :)

reliena
on 6/4/14 11:51 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

I hear you on missing out on money. I've been essentially not taking work since starting OptiFast. I wasn't sure how I would do on the shakes because of my Crohn's background (Opti trots) but in retrospect I would have been okay.

My advice is to just really consider how to best take care of yourself. It takes a lot in the beginning to adjust the all the newness surrounding these procedures. Money is a necessary thing, but you have to look after YOU! Though you should be okay if you mainly work from home.

I can't remember the last time I was excited for summer! Hoping the promise of "cooler than the last few years" prevails.

Referral 08/13, Orientation TWH 09/18/13, SW 09/26/13, NP 09/26/13, Surgeon Appt 12/13/13, MRI 01/06/14, Nut Class 01/14/14, Nut 01/20/14, Scopes 02/21/14, Psych 02/25/14, Dr. Urbach 03/28/14, PATTS 04/15/14, SURGERY 05/06/14!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 11:58 am - Toronto, Canada

My biggest future moment I keep envisioning is my first summer... Yeah the cuter clothes, and feeling confident again are all a part of that, but mostly, just being able to ENJOY IT! and be comfortable and not covered up and sweaty. I don't remember the last time I felt that way.

I am lucky, and do have the ability to completely stay home for a few weeks while still collecting salary and commission, however, I will definitely be taking at least a full week off, even if I work from home, to adjust, turn off my work phone, and focus on my healing.

I imagine it will be really hard to not shop after surgery when the first 30lbs come off.... Luckily I saved a basket of my absolute favourite clothes I purchased years ago, but have never been able to wear, or grew out of, most brand new. So I'll have something to tide over the shopping urges that are bound to happen.

reliena
on 6/4/14 12:05 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

You sound just like me! I have stuff right on down to a loose 16 (you know, like a Reitmans 16) from weight loss a few years ago. I didn't really buy anything super trendy, so I feel totally okay to bring it all out again. About once a week or so I test out a bunch of smaller clothes, as I honestly feel it's a bigger indicator of change than the scale. It is so gratifying!!! I am excited for you to have this feeling. It's like running into old friends you wish you had got to know better before, and now you can!

The absolute best thing to happen, though, was getting like a garbage bag full of clothes from my friend after she finished with a plus-size pop-up clothing shop and swap (say that five times fast). She sold about $100 worth of stuff, and other people brought stuff, but whatever didn't sell was going to charity. And because I'm so broke, I was stop #1 on the charity drive, lol. I joke, but I will be re-giving everything to charity when I shrink out of it. But anyway, that was like Christmas! I have even more stuff, some of it like a size L. Amazing. It's stuff like that that makes me happy I told everybody, and continue to tell everybody, about this decision. I have had such amazing support, conversation, and now great clothing castoffs!

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 12:20 pm - Toronto, Canada

I swear I have clothes ranging from M to XL - and 10 to 18! I will admit, I tend to wear my clothes too tight. Not by choice, but because most of the dresses and work attire I like, don't go past 14. I never shopped in plus sized stores, even though I should have. I collect clothes. My closet is so beautiful and filled with things I cannot wear, and never have. Its strange I even buy things I know I won't wear. Now you see why I need my commission and salary, haha Shopping addiction slightly. My mind is already thinking of my dream outfit. But somehow I think, once the weight comes off, maybe this shopping addiction will stop. I think when you're of a healthy weight, you can easily wear so much more, and shopping will become so much more affordable, I could run out of the house in tights and a tank top and not care. I'd never do that now. I haven't even worn shorts since I have been 12. As far as bathing suits and swimming, Hahaha yeah never. I have denied myself soooo much because of this. 

I packed up everything stretch like and super small I used to squeeze into that was under size 14 and gave them all to my mom. She got an entire new wardrobe which she fully utilizes. Its unbelievable to see her in something I purchased but have never worn because it was too small for me. Sp proud of her! She started at 302, and now 11 months later is 165lbs. She doesn't want to lose more, but she can't control her body, and her body is still losing rapidly. It was so much fun to bring over four garbage bags to my moms house and watch her try on everything one by one. She pretty much took it all. I'll have to get some of that stuff back once I lose some of my weight! ;)

Eeekkk so exicting!!!  Imagine where you'll be by August 4th, only a short two months away. 

Monica9811
on 6/3/14 5:14 am - Peterborough, Canada

Part of me wonders if your mom and sister don't want you to be small?  They like the spotlight. I don't know. You could be where they were if you don't fix this now. I work for myself so I was able to get released from hospital on a Friday. No pain meds and went into the office Monday for a few hrs. I even went to costco on Saturday. I felt great but you don't know how you will feel until it is over with. Just take this time to learn everything you can. Start making positive changes now, eating healthy, Quit diet coke etc. it will prepare you for when you have surgery. All the best!

monica

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 10:41 am - Toronto, Canada

You may be right, its just very hard for me to think they would be that way! I am going to see my mother on Friday, and I may mention it, depending on her mood. I mean, I have so many questions regarding it, it would be good to be able to go to them.

I am trying to start now. Although my BMI is at 42, and I am afraid if I do too much before orientation, and I drop below 40, they will send me away... So I am not going to get extreme about anything until I get the official weigh in there.

Thank you for the support!! and I hope hope my recovery is as smooth as yours sounded...

Dreamy74
on 6/4/14 1:24 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi JenniferLynne I just went to the Orientation at TWH on May 28th.  My doctor had sent in the referral back in November 2013 but I had "slipped through the cracks".  The way I got my appointment was to call the clinic and leave messages (I left about 6 messages - I was persistent and I finally heard back).

I have received two appointments so far - I will meet with a social worker in early July and then a nurse practitioner in September.  I am very nervous about the appointments and the questionnaires.  I just wanted to say hi to you, a fellow newbie, and also wondered if you were thinking of going to any of the support group meetings?  I have been thinking about it.

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/14 10:50 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi Dreamy! Did they give you the appointments immediately after orientation? I AM VERY nervous too! I hope it all goes OK for me... Everytime I have had to call them, I never left a message. I just found it better to keep calling every day or so, until I did not get the machine!  I may partake in the group meetings after I attend the orientation, I will see how I feel. I right now have a ton of questions and am just overwhelmed, and anxious for the process to get started! Let me know if you go to one, and I will join.

Most Active