BMI requirements

dfv
on 5/30/14 12:45 am

I understand that in Ontario, OHIP requires a minimum BMI of 40.  What do they consider your starting weight?  The weight you were at the initial appointment when your family doctor referred you to the bariatric centre or the weight you are at the day you have your first appointment with the bariatric team.  I am still waiting for my first appointment in Guelph.  If I loose enough weight between my referral and my first appointment and my BMI goes below 40, will that hinder my chances of getting approved?  Thanks.

Darlene

Referral by GP - April 2/14; Orientation in Guelph - July 10/14; Sleep Study - July 26/14; 1st RN apt - Sept 9/14; 1stSW/DT apt -  

kellybelly333
on 5/30/14 1:08 am - Toronto, Canada

They go by the weight at the office who sends in for OHIP approval. After approval, it doesn't matter what you weigh for surgery. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

bonefish
on 5/30/14 2:22 am

Actually I'm pretty sure it's the weight in the clinic the first time. That way GPs don't guesstimate. If you are too low, you won't qualify, silly as that is. 

on 5/30/14 3:11 am - Canada

It can be a BMI over 35 if you have obesity related health problems such as diabetes.  Also, at least for me , I gave them my height I was never measured that I remember.  so if you are so close to the cut off, reducing your height can increase your BMI. Good luck :) 

RYMEBE73
on 5/30/14 3:17 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

My experience - I was referred to the bariatric registry January 2012, my weight at the time was around 260lbs...skip ahead to December 2012 when I went into my first appt with RN, since I had done some changes and even attempted a crash diet through the summer, my weigh-in came in at 236lbs, which gave me a BMI of under 40 but as I didn't have any co-morbs, I no longer qualified for the surgery.  I am through Guelph as well...

Now 2 years later I'm back up to 256lbs, so am still going to be making healthier choices but no more crash diets!!  This time around I need to be approved!!  I've been waiting a long time to make this change to get to being a healthier person...I need the surgery to help me succeed, I know it's a tool, but for me, it's THE tool as I won't have the insane appetite I have now.

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

Most Active