How Much Liquid Should I Be Drinking & How Fast?

DJB1964
on 5/28/14 1:57 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi everyone, I just had surgery 6 days ago. I have been following the post operative diet as instructed. I was told that during the liquid phase I should be drinking 30 cc's (30 ml or 2 ozs) of fluid (water) every 15 mins. I have found in the last two days that I seem able to drink larger volumes in shorter times. I am not speaking about guzzling a bunch of fluid at one but am able to drink 8 ozs in about 20 to 25 mins.  This worries me a little as I am afraid that my pouch may be getting stretched. I don't feel full or any pain when I drink this much (if I drink to fast or too much I do full a tightness/fullness).  Has anyone else experienced this? Is this something I should be worried about or am I making something out of nothing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Kwelbru
on 5/28/14 2:12 am - Canada

Hey Dan,  I'm 5 days out from surgery and find the water goes down quicker than the required 30ml/ 15 mins.  I actually drank 3 bottles yesterday... 

Oddly enough I had a mild decaf coffee itch sweetener the morning... Got about 2 oz in and it sent me into the sweats.  Back to the tea I guess.  

Hope you get an answer cuz I'm curious too. 

Kim

SURGERY @ HRRH with Dr STARR on May 23/14 >>ORIENTATION WEIGHT 372lbs // OPTIFAST START WEIGHT 334lbs // SURGERY WEIGHT  319 lbs  // 3 MOS POST-OP 261lbs

Catw
on 5/28/14 2:32 am - Arnprior, Canada

I wouldn't worry about being able to do the 8 oz.  What it sounds like is that you are constantly sipping on your water, where the guide is estimating a break in between.  As long as you are not waiting huge periods of time between having your next glass of water, you should be fine.  You'll just have to watch when you get more active, that you remember to drink your water.  I've been known to get distracted and not drink for a long period of time in between.

As for stretching your pouch, don't forget that there is no stopper at the end of your stomach any more, which means things like water will just flow right through.  If you drink too fast you'll notice the "bottle neck", but slow and steady won't stretch it.

Just don't forget about the summer heat coming up, you'll need to watch your water intake then.  You may be fine with 64 oz of water normally(for example) , but need to up that amount when you start sweating it out.

Cathy

DJB1964
on 5/28/14 2:35 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks, Cathy!

Dan

19star71
on 5/28/14 2:38 am

Early out some people have a hard time, so they suggest you do it slowly in case you are one of those people.

If you can drink more, that's great!

Your new pouch has no valve at the bottom so liquid flows through like a funnel. It won't stretch your pouch. As long as you are comfortable, keep drinking!!

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

DJB1964
on 5/28/14 2:41 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks 19star71! By the way, can you tell me how to update my tracker? When I go to the page to enter my weight (on the Body tab), it says the data has been saved. Bute whjen I look at my tracker it hasn't updated. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Dan

Catw
on 5/28/14 2:48 am - Arnprior, Canada

Refresh your page.  When you update your tracker, it won't show because the site is reading a cached copy of the information.  Either log out and back in, or refresh your page and it should come up.

Cathy

19star71
on 5/28/14 3:10 am

any time I update the tracker, it seems to take a few days to show...even if I have refreshed a few times. I'm no computer expert, but I think it may have to do with what browser you are using ;)

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

hibbyangel
on 5/28/14 3:03 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

I wouldn't worry to much about it. you will know if it is to much to fast..it hurts or you throw it back up! your pouch is a funnel so liquid just funnels out. some people have more swelling then others in the first few weeks.. so obviously some have more troubles then others.  

on 5/28/14 3:07 am - Canada

Hi.  I am happy you asked the question.  I am also 6 days out.  I had my surgery in Guelph.  I  have been experiencing the same thing with the fluids.  Glad to hear that all is good :)

Most Active