WLS in Canada?

JBCalhoun
on 5/26/14 10:14 am

Hello,

I have a question? my wife needs to have the WLS done, but her insurance company won't pay for the WLS because of it being a elective surgery. is there a finance program ( monthly payment plan ) to look into to have the WLS done? is the WLS cheaper outside of the US than inside of the US? is there person to contact to find more information about WLS in Canada? please respond.

thank you, 

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/26/14 11:44 am - Windsor, Canada

Most things are more expensive in canada and not cheaper than the USA.  Many Americans go to

mexico. You may wish to check the Mexico forum 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Jiliana2
on 5/26/14 9:56 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I echo what Dawn said.

Many Americans go to Mexico for WLS as it's cheaper there than here. In fact, many Canadians go to America or to Mexico if they cannot get WLS in Canada. It's cheaper in the long run to go that route.

Good luck to you and your wife. I hope you find the right path for you.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Karen M.
on 5/26/14 11:05 pm, edited 5/26/14 11:05 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Weight loss surgery is not an elective surgery. OHIP covers it completely, making it completely covered and should be honoured by her insurance company as well. It is a medically necessary surgery, as deemed by a qualified surgeon.

Edited to add: Sorry, just realized you may live in the States. WLS in Canada would not be cheaper than the US, but perhaps check with Dr. M. Gagner in Montreal for pricing.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Catw
on 5/27/14 1:16 am - Arnprior, Canada

You would need to contact a Bariatric Clinic around your area, they would be able to let you know of cost or any finance programs that are available.  I'm not sure where in the US you are, but if you are near Utica, NY, I've heard great things about Dr. Grabber.  Going to Mexico is an option as well.

I don't know about your insurance, but if say that you have been recomended, or referred to have bariatric surgery, is it still considered elective?  If you go yourself and say I want this, I can see it being considered elective, but if it's recomended by a medical professional, does that change anything?

Good luck,

Cathy

Most Active