diarrhea - help needed

viper27
on 5/27/14 10:33 pm - Canada

I know this isn't a pleasant topic, but I really need some help.  I have been on Optifast since Saturday, and since Monday have had severe diarrhea once or twice a day.  Its very unpredictable, and I have been unable to go to work.  Since Monday, I have been adding one tablespoon of inulin fibre to my shakes.  What else can I do?  How do I get back to somewhat of a normal existence?

Catw
on 5/27/14 10:47 pm - Arnprior, Canada

You may need to increase your fiber.  Contact your centre and ask how much fiber you can take with the shakes.  I think we were told upt to 4 SF metamucil capsuls per shake, but I can't remember for sure.  Optitrots is very common, and I've also heard of Opticlog, but that's not as common as Optitrots.

Good luck!

Cathy

Monica M.
on 5/27/14 10:51 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

i feel your pain. Talk to your doctor, or the centre.

Sunny123
on 5/27/14 11:12 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I had that for the first week on Opti then it went away...I hope the same for you.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Patm
on 5/27/14 11:43 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Be careful what things you are adding to the opti. I found SF syrups made the diarrhea worse

OneByte
on 5/28/14 4:59 am - Milton, Canada
RNY on 05/21/14

I second this comment.  Anything sugar-free, filled with artificial stuff will probably make things worse. I was probably having too much no-sugar-added or sugar-free jello, and it caused it, once I cut back, things started being ok. 

stevidad
on 5/28/14 5:05 am

I don't know that once or twice a day would constitute diarrhea.  I've been on Opti since last Thursday.  Same for me - once or twice a day.  I figure it is a normal reaction to liquid in ... liquid out.

Tina G.
on 5/28/14 8:16 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

I feel so pain and it was only a short 8 wks ago I was on Opti, I started with the runs on day one of it and it never ended. It was not fun. All I can say is keep drinking your water so you don't get dehydrated.

Good luck

on 5/28/14 8:36 am - Canada

Hey Viper27 I was on opti for 4 wks and they called it the opti trotts I went through it for the first 2wks but it settled down after.  Good luck

Most Active