Waiting time between meds, vitamins & food

OneByte
on 5/23/14 10:07 pm - Milton, Canada
RNY on 05/21/14

It's my first full day at home. Had a great sleep in my own bed with my own pillow.  

I was wondering what people are doing when it comes to managing their existing meds, new post-op meds, and vitamins.  This morning I took my existing meds first (7am), waited about 15mins, then took the Prevacid (715am) I was prescribed for post-op. The Prevacid says to take 30mins before a meal, but the multi-vitamin says to take with food, but to take a couple hours between other medications. I plan to wait a couple hours anyways, as I'm not hungry, and have the two multi-vitamins and breakfast. Looking forward to having yogurt again, if the multi-vitamins doesn't fill me up on its own :) 

Thx.

mmona
on 5/24/14 4:00 am

I am on my 2nd day home.  It is confusing and i'm just trying to get my water in.  I am nowhere near the recommended amount.  Good luck to you and i'm sure we'll get this all figured out in time.

OneByte
on 5/24/14 4:09 am - Milton, Canada
RNY on 05/21/14

I've been sipping on water all day.  I've been able to get one protein shake in so far. I'll make a second one for an afternoon snack and split it with dinner or evening snack. 

The advice I was given from the dietician is just do the best you can. It should (hopefully) all get easier as time goes on and we get used to what we can do. 

Had a yogurt cup for breakfast and some protein-infused cream of mushroom soup for lunch.  So far so good. Time for the second dose of calcium now too. 

mmona
on 5/24/14 4:12 am

I am on full iquids this week.  No yogurt or soup... just shakes, water, tea, diluted juice.  I'm looking forward to next week and more choices.

OneByte
on 5/24/14 4:22 am - Milton, Canada
RNY on 05/21/14
On May 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM Pacific Time, mmona wrote:

I am on full iquids this week.  No yogurt or soup... just shakes, water, tea, diluted juice.  I'm looking forward to next week and more choices.

Oh, I keep forgetting each centre has different post-op directions. I'm at TWH, had surgery at TEGH and I got rolled oats for breakfast on my discharge day.  

Laurie C.
on 5/24/14 6:56 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Prevacid should be the first thing down there in the morning!!  It is a protectant for your pouch.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

OneByte
on 5/24/14 8:58 am - Milton, Canada
RNY on 05/21/14
On May 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM Pacific Time, Laurie C. wrote:

Prevacid should be the first thing down there in the morning!!  It is a protectant for your pouch.

Laurie

Thank you for the advice. I didn't think of that. It was the 4th thing down, behind the 3 other pills I take.  

Mary A.
on 5/27/14 12:12 am
On May 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM Pacific Time, OneByte wrote:

I've been sipping on water all day.  I've been able to get one protein shake in so far. I'll make a second one for an afternoon snack and split it with dinner or evening snack. 

The advice I was given from the dietician is just do the best you can. It should (hopefully) all get easier as time goes on and we get used to what we can do. 

Had a yogurt cup for breakfast and some protein-infused cream of mushroom soup for lunch.  So far so good. Time for the second dose of calcium now too. 

sound slike what you are doing is working perfectly..it's all about gradual increases to everything and working out what works BEST for you.

I am 5+ years post-op and I always take my iron with a 1/2 slice of toast in the morning and then my bariatric vitamins and calcium and extra Vitamin D, are on my desk at work, so that's my reminder.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

OneByte
on 5/27/14 12:22 am - Milton, Canada
RNY on 05/21/14

I've been setting an alarm for 6 (but waking up on my own at 5) :)  to get up and take the Prevacid and my other meds and then go back to sleep. It's been working out well that way for the last two days. Once I'm awake I can have the multi with breakfast.  I'm keeping track of when/what I'm taking in the Notes app on my phone and setting an alarm when I'm supposed to take something. So my alarm goes off and I have to check why :)

reenie33
on 5/24/14 11:50 pm

Make sure you take your prevacid!!! first and foremost. When I started out as a newbie (surgery june 28th/13) I made myself get up at 6 am, I began my vitamin ritual then, cal/vit d, then after 2 hours a multi, 12pm cal/vit d, 2 hours later  iron, 2 hours multi, 2 hours later cal/vit d, and a shot of vit b 12 monthly. now I only need to take my multi and shot monthly. I found if I didnt take my vites , I had zero energy for life , take your vites as directed, by your cargiver. I found that even if you take them too close together= it is better than not taking then at all

Most Active