Help from veterans re Running

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/14 11:23 am

Hey guys! I am two weeks post op today and doing well with my walks and just wondering when people think it's okay to run? Or when did people start running? I don't want to shake up my new insides too badly. A little history, I use to run all the time before I had my kids and competed in numerous 5k's and 10k's before I gained all this weight. So when I walk my body naturally feels like it should start running or at least jogging. What do you guys think? Thanks! 

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/21/14 9:36 pm - Windsor, Canada

I don't think that you need to be in a hurry to run.  I'm thinking walking would do you well for the first 6 months and then when you need to increase intensity the switch to running would be good.  It would also allow some of your weight to come off and be better for your joints. 

Although im in a mere minion when it comes to running. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/14 7:57 am

Thanks! I'll keep it to walks for now :)

Monica M.
on 5/21/14 10:32 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

I didn't start running until i was 5 months out, just over 200 lbs. I was afraid of injury to my knees. Make sure you get yourself some good compression garments, the belly floppign while i run is quite distracting, (for me anyway)

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/14 5:33 am

Thank you so much for the response. Yes I may just wait till a bit more weight comes off before I start. Definatley don't want to injure my knees. 

NorthernStar
on 5/22/14 5:14 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Walking is great the first 6-8 weeks out at least. Once you get the all clear and are feeling good you can start doing more intense workouts. I started running last spring after I had lost most of my weight, I really enjoy it and hope you can get back into it too eventually.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

(deactivated member)
on 5/22/14 5:34 am

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am definatley looking forward to gettin back into running. It's my all time favourite exercise :) 

Most Active