Nutritionist vs Personal Trainer

aprilflowers
on 5/21/14 12:19 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12

Good morning,

In the last few months I have gained 10lbs. I don't know why or how, but all my efforts seem futile. So I am reaching out to professionals (too far away from my beriatric center, my appointment isn't until the end of July). With my limited budget, I can't really afford both a nutritionist AND a personal trainer.

I personally feel I do really well in my diet and my exercise. I do bootcamp twice a week and I get out for a run or long walk another 2 days a week (I work 2 jobs so I can only manage 4 workouts a week)

So my question for you is, what do you think would be more beneficial? Have you had experiences with either post-op?

Nathalie_Can
on 5/21/14 12:46 am

Good morning,

First off - are you tracking?  Those calories will creep up and you won't even realize that you are eating 2 - 3 - 4 hundred more calories a day.

Second - is this exercise regiment all new?  Have you been doing this for a while?  Could all be muscle gain?!?

I had a personal trainer before my plastic surgeries and it's all in one's opinion.  I personally thought it was useless, I spend over $300 and didn't feel like he did anything for me.  I did it only to strenghten my core but I don't do exercise but walk once in a while.  It's not my thing, I don't like it and prefer to adjust my menu then excercise...lol

If you have access to a free nutritionist like some of us do with our Family Health Team or even maybe a free one at a hospital?, I would bet on that first and just concentrate more on your intake since you have your exercise routine down.

Hope it helps even a bit...lol

Happy Wednesday,

Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

aprilflowers
on 5/21/14 12:58 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12

I use MFP religiously to track my calories. I am for 1050 a day. 1200 on weekends

I started bootcamp in October.

Thanks for your opinion! Since diet is about 80% I was leaning more that way anyway!

Caroline K.
on 5/21/14 1:59 am

Tracking is a good idea. As for a personal trainer, it makes a huge difference if you get a good one. Finding one is the problem. There are lots out there, but they're not necessarily all that qualified or experienced. A good one will make you sweat and work hard, but not hurt yourself.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/21/14 6:10 am - Windsor, Canada

What's your percentage of carbs protein and fat?

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

aprilflowers
on 5/21/14 7:34 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12

My carbs are usually in the high 80s, protein in the 110-130 range and fat 45-55 range

Is that good? do I need to change any of it?

FoodAbuser
on 5/21/14 7:45 am

Drop your carbs down to 20 grams for a few weeks and your weight should start to drop.

Mary A.
on 5/21/14 11:40 pm

Actually you should be able to find a personal trainer that has accreditied nutritional type attributes.  While neither of them probably knows the characteristics of a RNY individual, the trainer would be able to monitor all of your levels, especially heart rate etc while working out.  Nutritionists....well lets just say they go by paperwork and books, where IMO a personal trainer will help you see results and can help you adjust..it could VERY well be the intense work-outs that you are doing are creating more muscle mass and therefor eyour body is keeping those additional lbs to fuel itself. 

Remember high caloric burning...needs to come from somewhere~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

White Dove
on 1/21/16 10:54 pm - Warren, OH

Bounceback weight gain is supposed to happen after RNY. Your body is smart enough to finally overcome the malabsorption.  It grows more of the hair like appendages called villi that hold on to food and keep it against the intestines so that calories can be absorbed again.

The only way to lose the regain is to eat fewer calories.  Exercise is not going to take it off.  Multiply your goal weight by 10.  That is approximately the number of calories per day to maintain.

To lose a pound a week, subtract 500 from that figure.  To lose 10 pounds will take 10 weeks.  Cutting carbs will give you a 10% advantage.  You will lose the 10 pounds in 9 weeks with low carbs.

I maintain 136 on 1400 calories a day.  I cut to 900 to drop one pound in a one week.  A good website to calculate your needs is If It Fits Your Macros iifym.com

My Bounceback happened at 30 months out and I gained 12 pounds by 36 months after surgery.  I had stopped daily weighing so found out at the doctor's office.

I got a trainer, worked with a nutritionist, joined Weigh****chers, increased my workouts, tried some friend's diet plans.  In the end I used My Fitness Pal, weighed daily and lost 1 pound a week on 900 calories a day.  I really want there to be an easier way but have never found it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active