Chia or flax?

PaulaToronto
on 5/17/14 11:43 am - Toronto, Canada

I have been hearing a lot about flax seeds and chia seeds.  Who uses them and which one is better to add to my yogurt if I am only going to add one? How do you store them? Thanks, Paula

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Patm
on 5/17/14 10:04 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I put both in my home made granola. Here is an article about chia. I guess it is the newest wonder food

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/18/14 12:48 am - Windsor, Canada

I really love Hemp.  Nice nutty taste and interesting texture 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

LittleMiss2013
on 5/18/14 6:37 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I use both in different things. If I were to only choose one I would choose CHIA just because I think it's more multi-purpose, lol. I just store mine in a glass jar in the cupboard. They are great for making homemade jam.....take a cup of your favorite berries, puree, add 1-2 tbs of chia seeds, mix well....store in fridge. You can add sweetener if you want. The chia seeds turn to jelly when added to liquid so they are great for jams and to fill you up. Be careful...I would "jellify" them before eating them...let them sit in your yogurt for 10 minutes before eating....you don't want to eat them right away and have them expand in your little tummy, that might hurt.

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

cutekatie
on 5/18/14 8:52 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I add chia seeds to my yoghurt because I need a crunchy texture. I put them in right before I eat them and have had no tummy issues.

I used to add bran buds but then I realized that chia seeds had the same amount of fiber and had good fats.

I put them in a container in the cupboard. They last a long time.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

PaulaToronto
on 5/18/14 10:17 am - Toronto, Canada

Time for a trip to Bulk Barn to try this stuff out before I buy a big bag. I keep hearing about how wonderful chia and flax and hemp is for bad cholesterol. Since I have a protein heavy diet I hope these will take care of any extra cholesterol. My numbers have been inching up this past 6 months - not sure why.  Don't eat a lot of red meat but do eat a lot of eggs.

4-Jane
on 5/18/14 11:00 am - Canada

Flax seeds whole are almost impossible to digest, ground flax would be a better option that whole.  I think hemp hearts and chia seed are easier for our body's to get the most nutrition out of.  

Respectfully Jane
PaulaToronto
on 5/19/14 7:36 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks, I just found a product on Well.ca that includes chia, flax and chia all in one bag. I'll going to add to protein drinks to blend the flax. 

Hanneli xoxo
on 5/20/14 4:43 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

as someone mentioned, Flax Seed cannot be digested unless it is ground.. so a bag with a mix of them wouldnt be good unless you ground them all. I use ground flax seed daily

Most Active