Adding flavour to Optifast

Robyn R.
on 5/14/14 5:39 am - Bowmanville, Canada

I used pumpkin pie spice for 2 & that was all I could handle. Thankful I was able to get 3 chocolate & 1 vanilla. 

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Needanewbeginning
on 5/14/14 6:31 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Well I was very worried as well, I could only get vanilla as it was on backorder. So, I tried a few different things like syrups, crystal light and even decaf Nescafé. What worked for my three weeks was my bullet, five or six ice cubes, a little water and a tablespoon of pure cocoa powder. It was almost like a Wendy's frosty. Well, not quit, but close. 

Like others have posted, there are lots of ideas, you will figure it out, before you know it, you will be here posting about what kind of protein powder to buy...

Good luck 👍

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

michellecowles
on 5/14/14 7:40 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

Thanks Annette! I've been seeing a trend about adding the decaf coffee to it.. i may try that first :) and I will definitely be adding ice cubes! 

And yes! In a few weeks I'll be waiting for your reply when I ask about protein powder lol! 

You have all been so helpful :) 

-Michelle

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

Needanewbeginning
on 5/14/14 11:35 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Just don't use too much of the Nescafé, I did yuck! So a little goes a long way 👍

And yes, the protein question will come up soon for ya, I wouldn't buy any til postop. 

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Zizzler
on 5/14/14 10:44 am

I have used LorAnn oils from bulk barn to flavour all kinds or stuff.   they are tiny little bottles and you only need a drop or 2 to flavour a shake.  My favourite is apple with some cinnamon powder added, tastes like pumpkin pie.  they usually have them where the extracts are or near the cash.  What I like is that they have no sweetener and the bottles are easy to store. They are also pretty cheap, like 2.99 per bottle.  I believe their original purpose was to flavour candy but they work great for flavouring just about anything.  I have grape, lemon, orange, cherry, apple, rootbeer.  If youo find them tell me what you think.  Good luck!

new_me180
on 5/14/14 11:22 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I think I'm one of those people who LOVED vanilla opti. I wish i could drink it now.I liked it plain and sometimes i changed it up and added in some banana, coconut or almond flavouring that i bought in the baking isle at any store. To me it tasted like milk shake especially with a lot of ice. That's all i had, don't like chocolate drinks so i didn't even bother getting it. Good luck.

Linsie
on 5/14/14 11:18 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

BAAHA it's awful!!!!!! I am on 3 weeks of opti (second week is done as of today, one to go!) and I got 3 vanilla and 3 chocolate cases of optifast. I'm through the Guelph clinic and they're excellent! I was able to swap out my full cases of vanilla for the chocolate. I currently have 3 packets of vanilla to choke down then it's all choco! With the vanilla, I add quite a bit of decaf black coffee, then ice, water, and some almond extract. Doesn't taste too awful. For the cocolate, I add a splash of decaf black coffee, with almond or peppermint extrac****er and ice and it's quite good actually. If Timmy's sold it, i'd buy it!

reenie33
on 5/15/14 2:30 am

Honestly, dont let other people's tastebuds be your own. Dont get it into your head that it is no good or terrible. I found it to be quite good, my son was even snitching my leftover opti. He really liked it. I did try it with other flavorings and blending it with ice as well. It is all personal preference. It is very filling. All the best to you.

RenaDawn
on 5/16/14 12:48 am - Canada

I didnt order any Vanilla, just all Chocolate....but this is what I did for my first Opti shake this morning and it was good! Last night I made decaf coffee icecubes - so I made strong decaf coffee, poured into ice cube tray and froze it. I used about 5 of those icecubes, some sugar free hazlenut Torani syrup and about a cup of water and blended in my Magic Bullet. To me it tasted like an iced cofee treat!

Orientation June, 2013. Surgery May, 2014 at TWH with Dr. Jackson.
HW - 296  SW - 278 CW - 214

OneByte
on 5/18/14 10:45 pm - Milton, Canada
RNY on 05/21/14

Vanilla, yah, spawn of satan is right. I couldn't get over the bright white neon colour of the shake. I've been adding a teaspoon (or two) of pure cocoa powder to it. Problem solved. I've always added a couple ice cubes just to get it really cold. 

Most Active