My Struggle with Water

lalalalaura13
on 5/12/14 11:09 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi everyone - so today marks 4 weeks since my surgery.  Had my follow-up appointment last week and since Christmas I have lost 80 pounds.  I couldn't believe it.  I purposely don't have a scale at home because I don't want to obsess about how much I'm losing; I just want to lose weight.  Eventually I'll get one but for now, so long as I see my clothes getting too big, then I know I'm okay.

My question/issue I'm having and this goes out to all of you who are post-op - trying to get all my water in has been quite a struggle.  I was wondering if anyone has any tips/suggestions on what I can do to help this. 

Thanks in advance!

Patm
on 5/12/14 11:16 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Finding a taste you like helps. Lately I ave been adding a slice of lemon or lime with a bit of sweetener to it. Or I buy vitamin zero. It has a slight taste and makes it seem better. It is really mind over matter for me. Good luck

Caroline K.
on 5/12/14 11:30 pm

I keep a water bottle beside my desk at work, and sip frequently. If it's no****er, it's (decaf) tea. I can usually fit in ~1.5 L at work, and make up the rest at the gym/home.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

19star71
on 5/12/14 11:58 pm

Don't forget that you just need to get in LIQUID. If you are having trouble with plain water, you can drink, tea, coffee, popsicles, soup, etc.

I also am not as strict with the 30min wait before eating. After eating is a different story.

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

Mary A.
on 5/21/14 2:09 am
On May 13, 2014 at 6:58 AM Pacific Time, 19star71 wrote:

Don't forget that you just need to get in LIQUID. If you are having trouble with plain water, you can drink, tea, coffee, popsicles, soup, etc.

I also am not as strict with the 30min wait before eating. After eating is a different story.

tea and coffee are diuretics.

....there are all sorts of enchances you can make to water, everything from Mio, Dasanai Drops, Crystal LIght and just plain old SF syrups...I can't stand water either....so I rely on my Nestea drops and Dasani drops to keep my fluid in take I also enjoy Sestea Zero (Green tea) in a can.

At 5 yrs post-op I still do not drink prior to a meal and 90% of the time I don't drink for at least 20 minutes after.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Delicious_Delilah
on 5/13/14 2:23 am - Ottawa, Canada

I found this to be one of my biggest challenges, but soon found a system that works for me.  As soon as I get up in the morning, I fill my large water bottle with water and usually crystal light or dasani drops, etc. -- it holds about 700ml.  And I sip that as I get ready for work.  So between my shower, and blow drying my hair, and putting on some make-up, and dressing, etc., presto, I've drunk the first 700 ml of my day.  And that sets me up nicely for getting in the rest via coffee, and other liquids (and usually at least one or two more of those bottles a day, depending if I workout or not).  But at least I know a good chunk is done even before I leave the house in the morning!

You'll soon find a system that works for you. 

DD

NorthernStar
on 5/13/14 5:40 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Sip, sip, sip all day. Always have your water bottle with you. In the car, at work, watching TV, EVERYWHERE. Put it next to bed at night and take a sip when you wake up. It was also a challenge for me to ge****er in early out so I know how you feel. Just keep sipping.

There's good advice here, find a taste you like. I am still not a fan of plain water, that's ok, I find something that works for me (drop of Mio, slice of lemon, etc)

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

4-Jane
on 5/13/14 10:52 am - Canada

I drink ho****er and I use a straw which does not cause any discomfort and my center knows about.... Try it hot it's very soothing

Respectfully Jane
Kimmiekat
on 5/13/14 11:57 am

Hi Laura, glad your doing well. My follow up isn't until next week. I haven't had a struggle with water, but the protien has been hard. I can't seem to stomach shakes anymore. (probably because I'm sick of them!) Anyway, keep up the good work, I have had issues with the scale, and I'm trying NOT to weigh myself because it never seems to move :(

Kim

Referral~March 5/13 Orientation~Apr 24/13 SW~June 10/13 RN~Aug 7/13 Sleep Clinic~ Aug 16/13 Sleep Dr~ Sept 3/13 Nut Class~Oct 1/13 Dietician/2nd Sleep Clinic~Nov 1/13 Psych~Nov 8/13 2nd Sleep Dr~Dec 3/13 Surgeon~Dec 6/13 Surgery~Apr 15/14

Kathyc618
on 5/13/14 1:23 pm

I've had the same problem I had the sleeve on 4/18. I went to my support meeting last night and brought it up. Propel and Crystal Light give me heartburn. Someone suggested Vitamin water zero and I drank 2 today. She suggested putting the lemon one in the freezer and making it slushy. It's been great. I would rather be drinking water but that will come. They also mentioned that Jello and sugar free Popsicle count. Also try different temps can make a different. One last thing try ice cubes that are flavored.  

Most Active