Emotional Eating

Zavz
on 5/10/14 8:48 am - Canada

I had a horrible experience with the social worker also, in the end I just told them what they wanted to hear. The things she said had nothing to do with actual problems I have. 

Happy78
on 5/10/14 10:58 pm

I had lap band surgery in 2008 and am having a revision in June. I know this is horribly disappointing. I went to a bariatric trained psychologist in 2008 who failed me. I managed to convince my own psychiatrist that I would comply with everything and so my doctor's office let her write a letter. The reality is - the original psychologist was right. I was NOT ready at all. I was moving to another state a month after surgery so the only support system I had was my husband. I was isolated and became extremely depressed after the move. I did not have my eating under control at all. Six years later and a lot of therapy (I have an anxiety disorder) I finally feel like I am on the right track. I went to the bariatric psychologist (a different one since I am in a different state), not my personal therapist, and this time she passed me. I have a good support system, have learned to stop emotional eating, and my life is pretty stable. The first time around, I really recognize now I was not ready and you know what  - I didn't lose any weight. Granted a lot of that was because the band was a total failure but at first I didn't follow the diet like I was supposed to. It was when I finally did start following the diet we realized the band did not work for me. Anyway, don't feel let down - it really doesn't work unless you are psychologically ready. Just work hard with the therapist and you will get there. Sometimes it just takes time. (It took me 5 years).

nbeatty
on 5/11/14 12:28 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

Thanks for your insight, Happy78.  Intellectually I understand what happened to me with the social worker, but I'm so disappointed.  I'm 57 and have co-morbidities, so I need to have the surgery soon. Most days I can use self-talk and journalling to deal with emotions as opposed to eating, but the social worker didn't see that.  I answered the questions for everything I've done in the past - sometimes I think I'm just too honest!

Orientation: Jan 27, 2014, Surgeon: Feb 14, 2014, Doctor Internal Medecine: May 5, 2014,  Nurse/Social Worker/Dietician: May 7, 2014, 2nd Visit Social Worker: June 20, 2014, 2nd visit Surgeon: July 11, 2014, PATT (HRRH): Sep 18, 2014 Surgery Date: Oct 3, 2014

EllenMW
on 5/11/14 8:35 am

you just have to lie and tell them what they want to hear... I made the mistake of saying i ate a potatoe chip and i had to do homework for the sw..that I didnt do as everyone in my support group read the questionaire I was given and basically all said the same thing... they were overweight because most of it is because the food is just there.    It wasnt like I ate the whole damn bag..I had 10, i counted them out.   From then on I lied on everything for the dietian and sw.... they certainly made me feel like I was just gonna have the surgery and fail miserably because everyone does... no support from them at all... I got very upset and yelled at them before I left the appt...and they both stepped back and said... good luck you will hear from the surgeons office within 2 wks..I didnt wait..I called 2 days later... got in to see him 2 wks later and have my sugery booked for Oct 7.    

Good luck,  I'm sorry I didnt notice were you are having surgery when you do...I just know if it wasnt the for the local support group I belong to and my husband, I probably would still not have a surgery date.

nbeatty
on 5/11/14 8:50 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

Thx, Ellen MW. Okay, so I got it now. If I eat something that's not in my best interest, it's just because the food was there! Honestly, everyone eats sometimes to make themselves feel better! Even my skinny sister-in-law. I'm at the Humber clinic in Toronto.

Orientation: Jan 27, 2014, Surgeon: Feb 14, 2014, Doctor Internal Medecine: May 5, 2014,  Nurse/Social Worker/Dietician: May 7, 2014, 2nd Visit Social Worker: June 20, 2014, 2nd visit Surgeon: July 11, 2014, PATT (HRRH): Sep 18, 2014 Surgery Date: Oct 3, 2014

Most Active