weight loss

TiffanyandCo
on 5/7/14 10:36 am - Canada

hey guys, I'm in my last 5 days before surgery and I'm worried that i haven't lost any weight. i have been on Optifast for 3 weeks but i haven't lost a pound. Is this normal?

Needanewbeginning
on 5/7/14 10:52 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Are you a lightweight?  Not even a pound lost?

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/14 11:14 am

What was your weight when starting Optifast? Are you following everything you are suppose to do while on Optifast, like drinking water, no sugar or milk in coffee or tea which should be decaf, are you drinking 4 Optifast a day? . Also are you eating anything other than what you are allowed? As it is unusual that you have not lost a single pound.

TiffanyandCo
on 5/7/14 12:32 pm - Canada

I am following everything that was laid out to me. All I have is optifast and water. I don't drink coffee or pop and I'm not a fan of jello or crystal light. I'm going to buy a new scale tomorrow... Maybe mine is broken... Or maybe I will swing by my doctors and get weighed 

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/7/14 11:44 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I have seen people post on here before stating that they did not lose anything on Opti. I don't think it is common, but, I think it can happen. 

Remember, the purpose of Opti is to shrink your liver for surgery, not to lose weight. So, try not to stress about it too much :)

Good luck!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Leanne1
on 5/7/14 12:27 pm - Newmarket, Canada

Lilybugsmommy is right! It's to shrink the liver

Don't worry; the weight WILL come off. Follow the plan from your centre. 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

reenie33
on 5/7/14 9:29 pm

Hey Tiff, I went through HRRH last year. I was a lightweight , AND I was unable to curtail my eating with the optifast. I lost very little 2-5 lbs I am ashamed to admit. They took me, I guess it is all individual. Try your best to stick to the plan, If your able to get out and walk that may help, and dont forget the magical power of WATER!! all the best to you, and I hope your surgery goes nicely

TiffanyandCo
on 5/8/14 2:05 am - Canada

I am currently 277pounds. im drinking the optifast but nothing is coming off.

bikinibound2014
on 5/8/14 2:27 am

is everything moving through OK?  Maybe you are constipated????

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

GonnaBeSlim
on 5/8/14 7:38 am

I did some research bc I was freaking out on Opti ( would only drink 2 a day bc I hated the taste and then be starving and ending up messing up, badly) and found that Opti is just the  standard used bc a) it's a no brainer b) it's  portion controlled and c) doctors make money from the sales.  In fact, when I had my vsg, in the states, I was only told to "lose weight" beginning 2 weeks before, but no specifics. I ended up doing slim-fast and then cabbage soup for dinner.

i wasn't sure about doing that again, so looked at other ways to shrink the liver, and found many site-  this one has all the basics :  http://www.adipositas-behandlung.de/en/contact-service/info-area/protein-rich-diet-liver-shrinking-diet

i am not weighing bc it really messes with my brain, but it feel tighter and less bloated.  surgery is Tuesday, the 13th.  Hoping I have done enough.  Good luck, hon.

G.

Most Active