Smoking...before orientation...need to quit

Scuppers
on 5/6/14 12:15 pm

Let's say hypothetically that in my letter it said that I had to be a non smoker 3months before orientation and I am at a month and a half before now and haven't been successful...will they actually turn me away??

Referral-2/25/14 

4-Jane
on 5/6/14 1:06 pm - Canada

Yes, good luck to you I smoked a pack and a half a day and smoked for over 30 years.  I'm more proud to have quit smoking and would still say it's my most precious non scale victory.  It was hard work to quit and I look at those that have done so for this surgery with respect, and trust me when I say non smokers will know you smoke.  I can not believe I smelt like that and had family and friends that hung out with me.  Sorry but the smell will give you away.  The wait for surgery is long and folks become resentful of others that don't follow the rules wls is a gift please quit ASAP you will feel so empowered.  Truly it has changed my life and yes I mean the no smoking...... It's way cool 

Respectfully Jane
kimber291
on 5/6/14 1:08 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I would be quitting now. If you get an appt quick after orientation and they do your blood work they will know your lying. It shows it the blood tests. And I'm sure they will tell you to reschedule when you have been smoke free for X amount of months. 

They also test you for nicotine at the PATTS testing if you were a smoker in the past.  If it shows you would probably be refused surgery. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

1HealthyMomma
on 5/6/14 1:15 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

At my orientation the first thing she said was if anyone here smokes they might as well get up and leave because they are wasting their time and hers. She said 6 months smoke free and she said that they test for it. I quit almost 3 years ago after 20+ years of a pack a day.

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Scuppers
on 5/6/14 2:50 pm

Thanks everyone.  I quit for almost 2 years and started again a few months ago.  I will do it again...I hope.  I need to do it for the right reasons.  

Referral-2/25/14 

Nanato2
on 5/6/14 10:08 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Yes they will put you on hold until you are smoke free for the time they require. They also do blood test to see if you smoke as well.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/14 11:24 pm

I smoked for 31 years, my referral was declined as I had to be 6 months smoke free before they would accept my referral. I am now almost 2 years smoke free. If you want this surgery bad enough you will quit smoking, if you can't quit smoking then you are not committed to having this surgery and being successful. They will check you and decline you if you continue to smoke.

Most Active