What do I need for my hospital stay

TiffanyandCo
on 5/6/14 11:51 am - Canada

Hey guys, my surgery day is fast approaching (6 days). I was wondering why I should pack for my hospital stay. Is there anything in particular that I need. My surgery will be held at St. Michaels hospital.

Thanks  

JennR
on 5/6/14 12:40 pm
I packed way, way too much and had a big bag of stuff I never used or wore. I wore a hospital gown the whole time, 1 front and 1 backwards so I was covered therefore no need for pjs or housecoat and wore my running shoes while walking so no slippers either. I wouldn't shower in the hospital if you paid me so no need for shampoo or soap. Toothbrush and toothpaste, maybe some kind of lotion or face cleanser and many people like to take lip balm because hospitals are very dry. I wore the same clothes home that I wore the day of surgery so no extra clothes needed. Basically then just stuff to keep you busy like a book. Some people take a laptop but remember that stuff gets stolen from the hospital all the time. If you've got a cell that will probably be good enough. Remember that you are having surgery and really spending your time recovering and sleeping is going to be priority. That was my experience anyways. Some people like an extra pillow in the car to hold against their tummy, I didn't do that but if you have a long car ride home you might.

TiffanyandCo
on 5/6/14 12:48 pm - Canada

Thanks... This really helps :) I'm going to pack this weekend. I don't feel comfortable in hospital gowns so I will bring my pjs. And thanks for the car tip, I don't have a long drive but I do like to be comfortable. 

jennie_jay
on 5/6/14 9:48 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 05/02/14

Hi there! 

My response is almost exactly the same as Jenn R's! I had surgery on Friday and packed waaaaay too much! lol I brought my own Jammie's too and put them on as soon as I could. Pennington's has some really cute and comfy capri PJ bottoms for under $20 :) I also brought a hoodie (instead of a robe) to walk around with. Lip balm and lotion was a must....I was so dry and the hospital was so hot. Apparently they are in between "winter and summer" temps. I also wore socks and birkenstocks when walking around. I took my iPad and had preloaded a couple of movies, books and trashy magazines to occupy my time. It came in handy when I had a hard time sleeping. I also got my monthly "friend" the day after surgery. Apparently the surgery along with all the blood thinners can make it come early. So I suggest being prepared with those items as well as wet wipes to freshen yourself up. Bring a small pad of paper and a pen. I used it to write down questions for when my surgeon came to visit. The pillow was a suggestion I also got from a friend who had surgery and I was so glad I had it for the hospital as well as the ride home! I took my own wide mouthed reusable water bottle. My husband kept it full of ice for me and I filled it for the drive home. I hope this helps :)

Good luck!!!! 

HW: 321lbs (Nov 2013) SW: 313.5lbs CW: 237lbs and counting.... 

RNY: May 2, 2014 - Dr. Sohi @ HRRH

JJ_
on 5/7/14 1:47 am

Put your lip balm in a sandwich baggie so it doesn't roll off your table.

Bring your charger for your phone or tablet.

Ear plugs are essential.  You never know if you will be rooming with someone, if they snore, have visitors, or noise from the hallway.

pegawatt
on 5/8/14 8:57 am - Canada

very good info!!

otmama
on 5/12/14 2:02 am, edited 5/12/14 2:03 am
RNY on 04/30/14

I had my rny on April 30th.  A great tip is to bring a garbage bag to put on your car seat (tuck it into the back) - it helps you slide easily into position in the car for your ride home when you're sore & it's hard to move around!I'm an Occupational Therapist so I'm all about assistive devices for when you go home!  I had my husband pick up a raised toilet seat with arms and a bed rail (rented from Medigas - available at most home health centres).  I only needed the raised toilet seat for about a week and a half but the arms are the essential part - you can also get just the frame without the raised seat so you have the arms to lower yourself and help with standing.  I'm still using the bed rail for getting positioned in bed & for getting out of bed.   Goodluck with your surgery!

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

Most Active