watermelon...feeling addicted

highlandbear
on 5/7/14 11:30 am - Canada

Thanks for responding. I am not even going to waste my time with her. Not worth it.  Why post if you don't want people to ask questions

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/7/14 2:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On May 7, 2014 at 4:40 AM Pacific Time, kimber291 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

As for highlandbear I was simply asking a question abou****ermelon and didn't ask for you to assume I wasn't getting my water, protein or veggies in. Thank you for taking the time to post your 2 cents worth.

Wow, what an incredibly rude reply.  Perhaps it's your addiction reacting?

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

kimber291
on 5/7/14 3:31 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

That's funny because I've gotten messages from members commending me on my response.

Gee I'm glad it was only watermelon and not chocolate or something much worse.  

Move along. ...

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/7/14 3:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13

If you were so certain that you are doing everything perfectly, then why did you post the question?  Did you just want everyone to pat you on the back?  I am not sure I understand why someone so new to this would be harsh with someone in long-term success.  

Also, if people are messaging you, it only means that they don't believe in their convictions enough to stand behind them via a public message board.

Good luck to you.  You obviously don't need though,  it since you know everything at 3 months post op.  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/7/14 3:39 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On May 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM Pacific Time, kimber291 wrote:

That's funny because I've gotten messages from members commending me on my response.

Gee I'm glad it was only watermelon and not chocolate or something much worse.  

Move along. ...

kellybelly333
on 5/8/14 12:25 am - Toronto, Canada

Move along? Please know when you put the word "addicted" into a subject line, it's something we take seriously here. The responses are just trying to help and make sure that you don't drown in the process. Especially this early out. Getting addicted to something "healthy" is still an addiction, and WILL lead to worse the further out you get. It's hard to understand now, because you have the ability of just having small amounts of food at a time and getting full, coupled with full on malabsorption it's easy to eat and lose the weight. Then suddenly your malabsorption halts, and you might go into a quick re-gain if you didn't get a handle on "Healthy" addictions. 

Just letting you be aware. They call this the Honeymoon Period for a reason. It's the easiest stage and things get more real and difficult in the months and years to come. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Mary Gee
on 5/7/14 2:54 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14
On May 7, 2014 at 4:40 AM Pacific Time, kimber291 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

As for highlandbear I was simply asking a question abou****ermelon and didn't ask for you to assume I wasn't getting my water, protein or veggies in. Thank you for taking the time to post your 2 cents worth.

I don't think Highlandbear was assuming you weren't getting your water, protein and veggies in -- she was merely saying get those in first. Your original post did question whether you were sabotaging yourself.  Just my two cents.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

bikinibound2014
on 5/7/14 12:49 am

I was surprised when my Dietician at Guelph highly recommended watermelon.  I thought the sugar would be too high.  She said not to worry and we should have a 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time anyways when measuring our portions properly.  It's a super source of vitamin A and C and lycopene so eat away if you can tolerate it.

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

kimber291
on 5/7/14 3:33 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Thank you for your response. It's good to know that it isn't that bad for me. I just wasn't sure so I thought I would ask.

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Lucy S.
on 5/7/14 5:36 am
RNY on 03/18/14 with

Hi there, I don't think watermelon is inherently bad. It is included on my plan and I have it occasionally. I would base it off of what your doctor/NUT says. The one thing I would be careful about is being "totally addicted" to anything food related. I don't know your past history with food of if you were just using the term lightly, but that addictive behavior is often what causes problems. The watermelon might be a harmless addiction for you, but it is promoting that addictive behavior, which might cause issues for you later on with a less healthy food.

HW: 263  CW:245  GW: 140 

Most Active