BlakeandLillysMummy
on 5/4/14 11:44 am - Canada

Hi everyone,

My name is Heather, I am a week away from my 35th birthday, I have been trying unsuccessfully to lose weight for my whole life, but actively trying for the last 5 years.  I finally took the step to speak to my family dr. A out WLS and she agreed that it was be a good thing for me!  I am now just trying to figure out if this is for me!  The more I read, the more I think it is!!  Just really nervous about it!!  My dr. Told me that if I want to start the process all I need to do is call her and she will put in the referral.

I am 5'5 and 254lbs.

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/4/14 11:56 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

When I first started the process for RNY, it was my doctor that suggested it to me. I was very skeptical and did not think that I would ever, actually have surgery. After going to the orientation and follow-up appointments, I decided that it was, in fact, for me. So, even if you are unsure now, I would recommend at least checking it out. Once you have heard all of the info first hand, you will be able to make an educated decision for yourself :)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

KerryF.
on 5/4/14 9:29 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I agree  if nothing else get the referral in and go to orientation, get all the information you can while deciding. My doctor as well suggested to me surgery  he helped me with so many other diet plans and finally he said Kerry think about this and he went to the webpage and downloaded a bunch of information for me to take home and read. Until then I didn't even know surgery was an O.H.I.P. option. 7 months post op now and my only regret was I wish I had of known sooner!

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Patm
on 5/4/14 11:48 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I agree with the other posters. Go to an orientation and get as much info as you can. Think about the energy you have now to keep up with your kids and how much more you would have if you were say 100 lbs lighter. I waited until my 60's. By then I had already done a lot of damage to my joints. I had missed out on some things because of my weight.

This is not a quick fix. It is a lifestyle change. You are given a tool to help you but you much face the demons that helped get you to 254 lbs. If you are an emotional eater or eat from boredom or whatever that will not change. You will have to learn to deal with that

No one but you can decide if this is right for you but find out as much information as you can then make an informed decision.

Good luck

BlakeandLillysMummy
on 5/5/14 2:46 am - Canada

So I called my dr. Today and asked her to go ahead and put the referral in, and my husband actually wants to do it with me!!!! :) 

Edina
on 5/5/14 5:02 am - Canada

I'm in the same boat as you but I knew I wanted the referral & asked my Dr. to do it. She knows a bit about everything but I want to talk to the experts in this field. My orientation is next Friday! I'm not 100% sure if I want to do this, but for me, this is the right step to get as much information as possible from the people who know! Good luck with this journey.

Darbaybe_2014
on 5/5/14 9:04 pm - Kitchener, Canada

Hi Heather ,

I am a newbie too....Joined the board here about 2 weeks ago. I asked my doctor for the referral.  I am going through Guelph General Hospital. I have had the orientation on April 24th and have my next appointments with the nurse on June 3 and then the SW and Dietician on June 16th. I too am really nervous about it. I never thought it would come to this and the reality of it is hard to process.  I think being nervous is probably quite normal. I am just going to all the appointments and going to trust the process....if it is meant to be it will be.

Good luck with everything.

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

Linsie
on 5/6/14 1:37 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

I was terrified to go through this too...being 30 years old and over 300lbs for the past few years...I figured it's what I have to do for me and my life. Once it's done, just gotta keep it up. My first appointment at the Guelph Bariatric Centre was in August of 2012, i'm not 3 weeks away from the surgery. Just joined this forum last week and I find it's helpful to read everyone's experiences through this. Everyone is different but it gives you at least some insight as to what you're in for. Guelph is very good, and I wish you all the best of luck!

Most Active