4 days to week three and the soft diet....any advise??

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/14 8:25 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi,

4 days to week three and the soft diet......yay can't wait...I must say the pureed diet is getting old really quick......  I am going shopping for food tomorrow...

So far chicken has been the easiest for me to digest, eggs are so so, meat a little hard.  Looking forward to pasta.

Any suggestions on the best approach the transition, or good things to try?

Kelly

Laurie C.
on 5/3/14 9:01 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hey Kelly:

sorry to burst your bubble but no pasta or rice, it's a waste of stomach space and no protein.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

PepperBB
on 5/3/14 9:16 am - Canada

Hi Kelly,

I agree with the above, I am 6 months out and I still have not had rice or pasta.

To be honest, I stuck to chilli, protein shakes, ricotta and cottage cheese, greek yogurt. For a snack, I did crackers with liverwurst and the laughing cows. Meat was tough for me at the beginning as well. One thing that helped was using my slow cooker, it made a bunch of meals that I could freeze, but it also tenderized the meat a lot. I also did a lot of salmon during this time as red meat was a problem.

Sorry I can not be more help, from my fitness pal lists, those were the major foods that got me through.

Good luck!!

Katie

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

highlandbear
on 5/3/14 9:44 am - Canada

No to the pasta. You need to remember Protein Protein Protein than vegies than potatoes or pasta. Good luck with pasta I am over 4 years out and I still have trouble with pasta.

Patm
on 5/3/14 12:39 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

So many other things to look forward to than pasta. Pasta tends to feel like lead. I either have the meat sauce without the pasta or use spaghetti squash as the pasta

Zavz
on 5/3/14 9:30 pm - Canada

I eat both pasta and rice without a problem. 1/4 cup serving. Presidents Choice Blue Menu Pasta has a fair bit of protein. 

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/3/14 9:54 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Seems a bit early for pasta...even if your book says you can have it, you will probably have difficulties with it. I started pasta around the 3-4 month mark. I only have 1/4 cup when I do have it (or rice) and I don't eat either of these very often. They are a waste of space and don't really have a lot of nutritional value for us...plus, sometimes they just don't sit right...still :(

I do like to eat a nice, hearty, meat sauce with either spaghetti squash or cottage cheese when my family has pasta for dinner.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

GonnaBeSlim
on 5/3/14 10:24 pm

A friend is 6 years out and just had a panni, btw, but even before that, she couldn't handle pasta or rice.  Might want to be careful.

Good luck,

G

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/14 11:42 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Thks everyone for the advise.  Meat sauce sounds better than pasta anyways.....   I was told the pasta needs to be cut very very small, but I can try otherthings as well.  You suggestions are helpful.

I may finally try the slow cooker I bought and never used  :)

Thanks,

Kelly

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/14 11:52 pm
VSG on 03/04/14 with

Avoid pasta like the plague. Beans are good at that stage. Soft, yummy, ok amount of protein.

Most Active