What supplements should I get?

TiffanyandCo
on 5/1/14 1:51 pm - Canada

Hey guys, I have a quick question. My surgery date is fast approaching (May 15) and I'm abit confused as to the medication that I need to take. My package from the bariatric clinic says that 4 weeks after surgery we need to start taking our vitamins in a chewable form. Is this all vitamins (mulitiviamin, calcium with vitamin d, b 12,. If so where can I buy these and what brand is best? Thanks 

LilyBugsMommy
on 5/1/14 10:15 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Here is what I did after surgery, as soon as I got home:

Wellesse liquid calcium or Jaimeson chews for 4-6 weeks (you cannot use the Jaimeson chews after 2-3 months because they are not the correct type of calcium, but, my centre (Ottawa) had said we could use them for the first couple of months until we could take pills).

Opurity chewable multi's (can only purchase online, I know they sell chewable multi's at Walmart, Shopper's, etc.)

You should be able to get liquid Vit D3 most places and you can buy sublingual B12 most places.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Catw
on 5/1/14 10:16 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Multivitimins can come in chewable form, if you use a pill, be prepared to cru**** (nothing hides the taste).  Calcium comes in chewable (tablets, Jamison Chews) or liquids.  Vitamin D is small, you should be able to take it whole or I think there is a liquid form (you can take pills smaller than the tip of your baby finger) and b12 is small or you can get either the strips or sublingual (goes under the toungue).  Most of these you can get at your local drug store.  If you don't see it, ask the pharmasist.

Cathy

Delicious_Delilah
on 5/2/14 2:26 am - Ottawa, Canada

Your Centre should have provided you with a list of options related to supplements, and exactly what dosage you needed to take.  If not, contact them.  And I do believe you should be taking the supplements as soon as you get home from the hospital (hence the liquid/chewable requirement) -- not four weeks after surgery.  Again, you can re-confirm with your Centre.

Good luck with the surgery!

DD

Mary A.
on 5/8/14 12:47 am, edited 5/8/14 12:48 am

just remember it is calcium citrate.

As far as a multi-vitamin I have heard of all kinds including pre-natal, over the counter stuff.

I am 5 yrs post-op and I would highly recommend a Multi Vitamin formulated for bariatric patients  (bariatric Advantage)..my surgeon (from the USA) told me at the time.....if you plan to look after yourself properly, don't take over the counter multi-vitamins that are engineered for the general public.

I don't want to start a controversy..but my opinion has always been....if you and the pregnant woman are taking the same vitamins or you and the (mature woman)...that simply means that the company hasn't invested any money into studying what their product does for a bariatric patient..it's for the general masses...and I may sound like a vitamin snob..but that's not good enough for me.

My bariatric surgeon had a VSG himself and had been in bariatric practice for 5 years prior to my having surgery, so I trusted his advice 100% and it has served me well...as far as extra Vitamin D , and calcium citrate I do use over the counter

give it some thought about what you put into your body to help your surgery be the best it can be for you..

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active