question

on 5/1/14 10:22 am - Canada

How is it that after surgery when you are in phase 2 and you are eating and trying to get all your protein in and you have to stop because you are full, how come you can still drink your water.  It does not make sense.  You would think because you are full that you could not handel water either.?  Is there something I dont know about??

19star71
on 5/1/14 11:33 am

One of the main rules is to not drink for at least 30 mins after you eat.

Your new pouch no longer has a valve, so its almost like a funnel. Liquids will run through it fairly easily and pull any food down with it and that's not what you want ;)

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

Jiliana2
on 5/1/14 10:30 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

What the previous poster said!

With an RNY, there is no pyloric valve to "close" the stomach per se. So when you eat, and fill your new pouch, it is definitely full. But if you drink water within 30-60 minutes after eating, it will flow right on through the bottom of the pouch (again, no pyloric valve to stop it from going straight on out) and if there is food in the pouch, the water/liquid will drag that out of the pouch and into the intestine. Water and liquids do not stay in the pouch for long at all.

It's a little different with a VSG, but I am still told not to drink within an hour after eating; my sleeve fills up with food and there's no room for water in there while my food is being digested. I don't want to push things too far! So I wait and drink after that 60 min mark.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active