Any over 50s out there? How much lost on Opti?

GonnaBeSlim
on 4/30/14 3:25 am

Hello, out there!

i am 54 and revising from vsg to rny.  Dr. Hagen has me on 2 weeks of Opti-fast, staring today.  

Would love to know how women, close to my age did on the Opti.  

Surely something so sadly unpalatable yelled some good results for you that I can aspire to?  Hard to keep my eye on the prize when I am just trying to get my head around the shakes being my life for 2 weeks.  :)

would love to hear the success stories!

G. 

on 4/30/14 9:41 am - Canada

Hey G how are you?  I'm Val and I'm 62 yrs old or should I say young :-)  I am now 9 days out of surgery.  I had to be on the Opti for 4 weeks and I lost 45lbs. by the time i went into the hospital last Tuesday.  My daughter had the same surgery as me last Oct and I think she may have lost around 30.  Not to sure.  todate she has lost 147lbs.  I hope i do as well as she has.  Now being 9 days out I have not lost any more as of yet.  i guess my body is trying to get used to what is going on but i'm sticking to my plan It has to move sooner or later right  good luck with your surgery.  How are you taking your opti?  I made mine as cold as i could and I always mixed it with instant decaf coffee.  I'm here if you want to chat :-)  Val

GonnaBeSlim
on 4/30/14 10:12 am

Thanks, Val! You're doing awesomely, as is your daughter- wow.  

To answer your question, I am mixing with decaf and ice for the chocolate, and did the vanilla with some orange zest and ice.  Got both down okay.  The ones I had experimented with, yesterday, were just nasty after a couple of minutes of standing at room temp, soi know my blender and lots of ice is key.

i've only had 2 shakes, but am allowed broth and greens, so that's what I had tonight as a "soup".  

Thanks for saying hello and the offer to chat.

G.

zephie
on 5/1/14 5:40 am - Moose Factory, Canada

Hi G....I am 65..got the surgery in Oct 13....Optifast was fairly easy, think I lost about 15 lbs.  I am 6 months out from surgery now...no complications at all ...down 96 lbs and at the goal the Bariatric centre set for me but as long as the weight keeps coming off I'm willing to loose another 20 lbs. Started having gallbladder troubles over the last week which is not surprising with huge weight loss so will have to have it removed soon as they are done some testing.

Optifast taste was manageable as long as I made it very cold. Also used some flavorings to change it up.  However it was being able to have 2 c veggies a day which I made into a soup with the low fat/low sodium broth that I was allowed ...that made much more bearable. Hope you continue to hang in there ...its just another step towards a healthy life!!

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

GonnaBeSlim
on 5/2/14 2:03 am

Thanks!  I, too, am using up those green veggies .  Oh why, oh why couldn't they prescribe ice caps and bacon for 2 weeks, eh?  Lol

G.

jennie_jay
on 5/1/14 6:55 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 05/02/14

Hi there

I'm not over 50 (38) but thought I would respond anyway :) I'm on my last day of OPTI ... Only 2 shakes left. I found the chocolate one easy to get down without putting anything in it. The vanilla...UGH... I tried a few things (mint and maple extracts and decaf coffee) but the best for me was the strawberry/orange/banana Crystal Light.  I also used a wide mouthed bottle and partially froze the water...just until it was icy. I poured it all into the blender and blended for about 20 seconds on the smoothie setting. 

As of this morning I am down 22lbs. Good luck! You got this!!!!!! 

HW: 321lbs (Nov 2013) SW: 313.5lbs CW: 237lbs and counting.... 

RNY: May 2, 2014 - Dr. Sohi @ HRRH

GonnaBeSlim
on 5/2/14 1:56 am

I just saw this, and you must be in surgery, today!  Hoping it's going well.  Prayers to you 

G.

Linsie
on 5/2/14 2:18 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

Oh that Vanilla....yowza! I'm on day 2 of optifast (I'm on it for 3 weeks prior to surgery). The chocolate I find decent with some almond extract. Actually, it's pretty darn tasty! Now, eating that for 4 meals every day for 21 days may be a little too much. I'm hoping to try some de-caf coffee tonight in the vanilla. I'm determined to make that "not so nasty". If all else fails, I'll go back to my bariatric clinic and exchange my vanilla for chocolate.

It's great to hear that you've all lost so much by just using the opti! It's only day 2 for me....maybe it's time to buy a scale, those evil devices i've been terrified of for the past....30 or so years.

GonnaBeSlim
on 5/3/14 11:57 am

I tried to get all chocolate and was nixed. pffft.  Good luck getting it ;)

G.

Emjaye
on 5/1/14 12:47 pm - Canada

Hi G,  I turned 54 in Sept/13 and had roux-en-y surgery in Nov/13.  On Opti for 2 weeks and lost 14 lbs.  I found it really helped to add a spoonful of cocoa powder to the chocolate opti - it made it so much better.  I don't thnk I ever drank an Opti without jazzing it up with something.  I usually added a spoon of decaf instant coffee to my chocolate breakfast opti.   I also used several different sugar free Torani syrups - raspberry or strawberry with the vanilla Opti and caramel or almond roca with the chocolate.  I also added a drop or 3 of artificial peppermint extract to the chocolate opti, especially for 4th opti of the day, which made it like dessert.  It was tough for the first few days, and the worst thing was craving a big, monster, multi layered sandwich -  but, I persevered and so far no cravings whatsoever.  I looked away, muted and/or changed the TV channel whenever food commercials came on.   I am now days from my 6 month marker, and have lost over 105 lbs.  I feel great.  Best of luck to you!

Orientation Jan 2/13, Social Worker Feb 27, Nurse Practitioner Apr 29, Nutrition Class May 28, Dietician Jun 18, Psychologist Jul 9, Surgeon Aug 2, Opti starts Oct 14, Pre-Admission Oct 16,  Surgery: Nov 4/13

Most Active