starting pureed diet is harder than I thought!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/24/14 11:09 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Starting pureed diet is harder than I thought.  Yesterday ate 1 egg with laughing cow cheese and a bit of milk, and 2 tsps of greek yogurt.  today had trouble with cream of wheat 2 tbsps for breakfast.  think Ill stick with shakes for breakfast and try lunch of eggs again....

Any suggestions anyone to make this easier.  things that worked/work for you?

Thanks,

Kelly

Patm
on 4/24/14 11:15 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was told you should poach your eggs. I still have problems with scrambled at 2 yrs out. If you like yogurt it might be easier.

Catw
on 4/24/14 11:31 pm - Arnprior, Canada

When you are making cream of wheat or oatmeal, use twice the amount of water it calls for.  When I make oatmeal, I use 1/3 cup oats & 1 cup water, add a little sweetener and coffeemate (milk and I don't get along) and microwave for 90 seconds.  Tastes good and goes down easier.

When you are starting, make things a little more liquidy and then slowly thicken it up.

Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/14 8:57 am

I just started my soft food stage too. For supper I made my favorite Tofu scramble, I was surprised that I could only eat a few teaspoons of it. It was yummy though!

Karen M.
on 4/25/14 9:52 pm - Mississauga, Canada

It IS hard, isn't it! I found the same thing. Not to mention I was actually scared each time I ate anything. Be prepared to have to try some foods many times, over time, to keep checking if they work for you. Eggs and I broke up post-op and only reconciled about 6.5 years later. lol

Great suggestions already about sauces, gravies, thinning things out, etc. Just take it slow, keep things moist and hang in there - it does get easier.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Monica9811
on 4/25/14 11:27 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Chili was my lifesaver!

Maggie428
on 4/26/14 6:02 am - Kingston, Canada

Wow I must be the weird one of the group, I don't have any problems with the scrambled eggs or the cream of wheat as long as I take my time.  I did not tolerate soup though really really did not tolerate soup!  I hope it starts getting better for you Kelly, I wonder if mine is going easier because they had me eating applesauce in the hospital?  Hugs!

Maggie...Life is too short to hide the sparkle you have within....

dna
on 4/27/14 10:39 pm - Canada

At almost 2 years out I still start my day every morning with a protein shake.  I have to "prime the pump"  so to speak. I will do an egg for lunch or dinner but forget about breakfast :)  Yogurt is a good start to the day or anything really slippery like that.  It takes time.  Have lots of patience and don't rush the stages.

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

Most Active