My Surgeon and appointments

jaxie77
on 4/24/14 3:07 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey all , 

So after getting the call on tuesday to confirm my first appointment with my surgeon( May 1st)  , I got an email today from the clinic with my Surgeon's name (Dr Klien ) and my appoinments with Social worker , Nurse and Dietician ( all on same day ...July4th )all at HRRH  .....first of all ....anyone familiar with my surgeon ? And also , I see a lot of dates on your profiles for U/S , sleep study and other things , are all those things done depending on what your visit with nurse and surgeon decide ? and of course ....my ineveitable question  ...looking at my timeframe ..how soon after could I expect surgery ? Lol ....sorry for all the questions ,just excited and nervous ! 

Hope every one is having a great day .xxx

josh_h2
on 4/24/14 5:01 am

hey Jaxie;

Welcome to the (what seems like) a looong road, but one that's (from what I've been told) worth the wait.

I also have Dr. Klein - I just got my date yesterday.

Social worker, nurse & dietician - they all make sure you know what you're getting yourself into, you know the stuff they "taught" you during the orientation. 

When you see the surgeon, he will likely write you a referral that you take up to Dr. Glazier (internist).  He's the one who "clears" you medically for surgery.

If you've ever been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea (or if you've never had a sleep study) - chances are he'll send you for an updated one (you can ask your family doctor for the referral before you see Dr. Glazier - it may help speed up the process)

As for when - it all depends what happens, if you're called back for any follow ups etc. 

I had my orientation in January, and I'm booked for surgery in Sept.

Orientation at HRH - Jan 13, 2014. 1st Meeting with Surgeon (Dr. Klein) & blood work - Jan 30th. Sleep study - Feb 5th. RN, Dietician & Social Worker exams - Feb 25th, Internist - April 9th.  Dr Klein -April 23rd,PATTs Sept 2nd, Surgery, Sept 16, 2014, Opti Starting Weight - 343LB (Aug 26th).  Surgery weight 315LB  CW 215 17-Aug-2015)

jaxie77
on 4/24/14 5:14 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hi Josh , 

Congratulations on getting your date !! Exciting stuff :) 

I actually just read one of your posts and saw you have Dr Klein , Sept does seem long from your initial refferal , I had kind of gauged that my surgery may be sept but now im not so sure . 

Thanks for the advice on the sleep study , I will have my doc refer me asap . Some days I want to speed up the process then others I get freaked and think " Woa ...need more time to think on this " !!!! Its a rollercoaster . But I guess it will work out in the end and I cant wait for that :) 

Look forward to chatting on here 

Again thanks for the reply x 

josh_h2
on 4/24/14 5:19 am

December 2013 (referral) to Sept 2014 (surgery) isn't that long..

take the time to get into practice what they teach you about how things will be like post surgery - get in the habits now, and you won't have as much to force yourself to do then.

and it is a roller coaster - just keep your mind focused on the end, when you've dropped a bunch of weight, and how many times you've tried in the past. 

If you decide you do need more time, you can put a "stop" on it for (I believe) up to a year.

Orientation at HRH - Jan 13, 2014. 1st Meeting with Surgeon (Dr. Klein) & blood work - Jan 30th. Sleep study - Feb 5th. RN, Dietician & Social Worker exams - Feb 25th, Internist - April 9th.  Dr Klein -April 23rd,PATTs Sept 2nd, Surgery, Sept 16, 2014, Opti Starting Weight - 343LB (Aug 26th).  Surgery weight 315LB  CW 215 17-Aug-2015)

DustyB
on 4/24/14 8:28 am - Canada

Had to jump in here,

As the NS forum is lacking in any activity, I view the Ontario forum as well as other provincial forums to learn as much as I can.  You are very fortunate to have short waiting times.

In NS my referral as been in since 2010.   Re-affirmed referral every year.  Have not yet been contacted.  The waiting list is up to ten years.  In the meantime, I keep trying to lose lbs and educating myself.

So very glad for you all.  It is good to read about people being taken care of.

EllenMW
on 4/24/14 8:57 am

Hi Jaxie, so my referal was sent in last april/13, had orientation in Oct of 13, met the surgeon Dr. Hagen a week later and met Dr Glazer he sent me for a sleep study a week later, in January...saw the RN/RD/SW in January, had to go back in march. FInally they told me as I Left i'd hear from the surgeon office in about 2 wks but i called a few days later and got in quickly...my date is Oct 7, so a year almost from the time i had orentation.  If you want to get through faster, call and tell them you want to be put on the cancellation list that sometimes works could get you in a bit quicker!!  

and as for the one from NS!! a 10 yr waiting list? WOW thats just crazy!! good luck to you i'd hound them till they really started the ball rolling!!! good luck!

pebtash
on 4/24/14 9:36 am
VSG on 11/25/14

hi there, I'm not sure what NS is but for a 10 yr. waiting list I would go somewhere else. 10 Yrs. is a very looooong time.

DustyB
on 4/24/14 11:59 am - Canada

Hi,

NS stands for Nova Scotia and yes, 10 yrs is way too long.   It took awhile to decide this was best for me.  Stopped smoking 5 years ago.  After one year, requested a referral.  Now another 4 years of my life has passed while waiting for help.

I know it is shameful for my province but in my situation, I have no other option but to wait.

Karen M.
on 4/25/14 11:21 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I really feel for you. And quite frankly, it's a good eye-opener to those of us lucky enough to only have to wait a year or so - complaints, complaints..... you have the right attitude. Hoping for a quick(er) wait for you!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

DustyB
on 4/26/14 2:50 am - Canada

Karen,

I am getting pretty desperate.  Lack of Hope does that.  It is though we are all resigned to the fact that there is no hope.  So many in NS go to Mexico but that is not for me.  I am too sick to travel.

Talking to you all helps me to decide not to give up.  My doctor has called the centre every year to advise my need for this surgery.  You are not allowed to call so I wrote a lengthy letter myself but nothing has come from any efforts so far.

I will be talking again to my doctor.  I have a long list of health issues and this is my only hope.

Thank you for your kind words.

Health to Everyone !!!

Most Active