Metamucil

otmama
on 4/21/14 1:05 pm
RNY on 04/30/14

Will I still be using the Metamucil capsules after surgery?  I still have another week of opti & I need to get more so I'm wondering what size bottle I should pick up!  Thanks so much:)

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

4-Jane
on 4/21/14 1:57 pm - Canada

I have not used them, and the fibre I'm sure would be good but...... I try to eat things like some apple or celery that has fibre   or my Centre has encouraged me to add flax seed and chia seed to my shakes. I believe the reason it is not often used after is it has to be used with loads of water to work.  I used the tablets during opti and now have a super jumbo sized bottle from the USA that just occupies space, it was cheap and I thought it would be good to have.  It sits beside the blue bottle of milk of magnesium, senokote and the box of smooth move herbal tea all things I thought I should have, all things that remain unopened but are there in case.......

Respectfully Jane
Needanewbeginning
on 4/21/14 2:56 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

My centre suggested clearly fibre,  it's an Inulin fibre, dissolves completely in water and is tasteless. I used it very often post op.

You can buy the no name brand at most any store.

Annette 👍 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

BIGJAY1972
on 4/21/14 6:33 pm, edited 4/21/14 6:33 pm

I use benefiber. they dont talk enough about constipation when you leave the hospital. it was brutal. i thought i was going to die. after 4 days i was in agony and then finally going was hell. take some form of fiber right away.

Jiliana2
on 4/21/14 10:27 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Agreed. There is not enough focus on the fibre that you need post-op.

I try to limit carbs, because carbs are a big trigger for me. I have not yet had fruit of any sort post-surgery. But by limiting my carbs, I am also limiting fibre and boy, that gave me a huge problem! I tried all sorts of remedies. Finally, I found a combination that works for me: 

• Inulin Fibre (like Benefibre) that I stir in my drinks, 6 tsp daily
  • along with Metamucil (4 capsules daily)
  • added some Bran Buds as a snack (14g per day)
  • and some stool softener capsules (3-4 daily, docusate sodium) in the morning and at night.

Only by staying very diligent with these four things am I semi-regular (every 3-4 days)... without them, I was almost 2 weeks without a bowel movement!

Please, for your own sanity, watch your fibre intake and ensure you get lots of water. Otherwise you may have a serious problem and end up at a hospital needing assistance. Good luck!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active